Custom Audio Amplifiers OD100 SE+ - Tell me everything...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SgtThump, Dec 22, 2009.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I will have a CAA OD100 SE+ on the way very soon. It's a 2008 model with the plexi transformer, EL34s, and the "Whomp" switch.

I haven't been able to find alot of info online about these amps. For example...

1 - What advatange/disadvantage is there to the "plexi transformer" and is this a standard thing or an upgrade?
    2 - Are EL34s standard on the SE+ or is that a special option?
    3 - How much gain is available on the clean channel with the gain knob cranked and the boost switch on?
    4 - Can you explain the feedback, whomp, and brilliance controls?
    5 - What do the footswitches look like (what is footswitchable?)
    6 - I read that the Standard + has an internal trim pot that adjusts the amount of gain added with the boost switch on Channel 2. Does the SE+ have that too?

Man, that seems like ALOT of questions for an amp that's will soon be on the way. LOL! I know, crazy. But the answers to those questions above aren't a "make or break" thing to me. I've wanted to try this amp for a long time and I'm finally going to be able to give it a go, so I'm excited.

Any info, pictures, clips, etc... are appreciated!

Chris

2. chadprsman

chadprsman Supporting Member

LOUD as you know...I used a jumper cable on effects loop for 2nd master. I had converted SE+ but 6L6s and not plexi transformer. Gain channel was over the top, killer cleans that I never tried turning up the gain.

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks for the info. Also, does the effects loop work well with regular 'ole pedals? Seems like I read that it was designed for those, but I can't remember where I saw that.

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

C'mon, somebody get me excited!

5. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I just got an OD50 SE+, traded for it sight unseen (or unplayed). It's an awesome amp, lotsa fun to play. I'll try to answer these as best I can:

1 - What advatange/disadvantage is there to the "plexi transformer" and is this a standard thing or an upgrade? Plexi Xfrmr Standard on the SE+
    2 - Are EL34s standard on the SE+ or is that a special option? Not sure, mine has EL34's too
    3 - How much gain is available on the clean channel with the gain knob cranked and the boost switch on? Pretty much lower gained plexi stuff, I run it just breaking up a smidge (gain on 5, Volume 4 or 5, boost on). I add a boost for solo's on that channel for cleaner stuff (SRV for example).
    4 - Can you explain the feedback, whomp, and brilliance controls? Feedback is damping for the Power Supply, changes the feel. Whomp moves the low end/ low mids around. Honestly I haven't fiddled with these enough yet.
    5 - What do the footswitches look like (what is footswitchable?) 2 button, one changes channel, one activates the 2nd channel boost
    6 - I read that the Standard + has an internal trim pot that adjusts the amount of gain added with the boost switch on Channel 2. Does the SE+ have that too? Not sure about this, and am curious to find out. The boost also depends a lot on the tube that gets kicked in when boost is activated. I have a lower gained AT7 in their I think, and it works well when soloing.

I haven't fooled around with the loop yet either, and probably won't anytime soon. It's a fabulous, musical amp. I was going to have it modded to a Classic + or PT, but I think I'm just gonna leave it be and play it as it lies...

6. studiojig

studiojig Member

Paging Husky..... eh, who am I kidding, he's probably off for the holidays and/or prepping for NAMM

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Bump! Yeah, I was hoping Mr. Suhr would chime in too! :)

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I had the PT50. Really nice amp but different than what you're getting. I've played an SE Plus before though. I know you've played a lot of amps. I liked my PT50 a ton but I ended up keeping my Bogner 101B and VHT Ultralead heads over the CAA. I guess 3 was too many high end amps for me, but all are exceedingly nice.

9. Husky

Husky Member

just give me a call or send an email, a call might be easier!
    EL34's are standard on the SEplus unless it is an earlier one that has been converted
    SE plus does not have an internal trim adjustment for the boost but the PT100 does as well as the standard plus.

10. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

Man, I loved my SE+ ... plexi tranny gives it a huge, less compressed sound compared to the standard tranny. I found the semi-distorted tones were excellent, and it still had shred potential with the gain/boost up. Great tone ... one amp I am sad I no longer have, I sold it to my friend. The cleans were a bit dirtier than the standard, in a good way for me, as I am a Plexi nut anyway, and like a bit of hair on my cleans. But you can really fire the clean channel up to hard rock grind if you want too ..

Killer amp, one of the best I ever played ... good luck, you will love that beast ...

11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Is this new? I could've sworn the price list said 5881s on the SE Plus when I ordered my PT last winter.

12. spazmonkey

spazmonkey Member

I have the pt100 and se+, love both. For me, and it seems like I might be a minority, but I think I like the se+ a bit more, but both are GREAT amps. Se+ seems to have a lil more fluidity to it if that makes any sense. I've owned TONS of other amps and the se+ just has that "lead" tone for me, but I do gig a lot with the pt also...Awesome amps!!!

13. Husky

Husky Member

It might have but we have been using the PLexi OT and EL34's for a few years now, ever since we did the +
    Mainly cause that was the most popular version

14. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I know I should call your shop as you suggested, but I admit I'm kinda lazy when it comes to that. :) It's easier to just fire off an email or start a thread on here hoping you'll come into it. he he...

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to checking it out. I emailed you several years back about modding a Marshall and you told me you were working hard on your "new" amp line and you were about to stop modding Marshalls, but you could fit another one in at that time. I never followed up on it (like I said, I'm lazy), but now I'll get a chance to check out this other design of yours.

Also, not that I'm a huge Reb Beach fan, but I did watch a DVD once where he plays a few songs and basically acts kinda stoned or buzzed up while going through his gear and he raved and raved about how long he used those modded Marshalls. I think he said Warrant borrowed that amp for "Cherry Pie" or something.

Did you mod those Marshalls? I can't remember who it was. Was it that Martin dude I read about a little (I don't know the connection between you two, but either you both worked together before or still do or something...)

Basically, you seem like a very nice guy and your guitars and amps get rave reviews from just about everyone. I just get all confused with the CAE, CAA, Martin Golub or something like that, Doug Aldrich modded Marshalls (Cameron and Martin I think), Reb Beach switching to your OD100 amps, etc... I'm cornfused. :)

And yes I am kinda sucking up a little...

15. Husky

Husky Member

Martin used to work for me and Bradshaw
    I did all the Reb amps, now Reb had all his amps converted to PT100s though including the old Marshalls. You can hear my sons PT100 used by Reb on the new winger record.
    http://www.melodicrock.com/showcase/winger-karma.html
    As far as Doug goes I did his main amp and Martin did a duplicate for him when I left for Fender. I'm doing some more amps for Doug as we speak but as prototypes, I gutted his old Marshall and am about to put new guts in. I really dont have any more time for Marshall modding these days and it keeps me from developing new product so unless I get bored I have a few more on my plate to finish up and that is it for a while. I am however making some hand wired custom amps for people though and am about to close orders for them until late next year if I have time to do it again. It is much easier for me to build an amp from scratch instead of trying to fix a lot of issues that might keep them from sounding their best.

16. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks for the reply. I thought Reb was using the SE+ for some reason. The hand wired custom amps sound very interesting.

What is your favorite version of the OD100? The Standard?

Chris

17. Husky

Husky Member

Reb was using the SEPlus but after hearing the PT100 he had all his amps switched over and used the PT100 on the new winger record and the last whitesnake tour. Personally that is also my favorite amp but I like the SEplus for thick lead soaring, it all depends on the players tone in his fingers and what he wants to hear.

18. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I thought the SE+ would be too much amp for me, but it's pretty tameable if you keep the gains low. I did crank up the gain on ch 2 for one tune, and you could still tell my strat was a strat.

19. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I'm kinda wondering the same thing. I really don't use a crapload of distortion either and I know the SE+ is designed to be the super high gain version.

I don't really know what to expect. I'll start out by running the clean channel breaking up for bluesy tones, the distortion channel without boost for AC/DC'ish tones, then the boost on for higher gain tones like Dokken, Ozzy, etc...

If I can pull those off, I'll be happy.

20. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Snag a hotter gain preamp tube for the ch2 boost slot, and you will be there. It's only super gain if you set it up like that, I was surprised how "non metal" the amp is even with the gain cranked up....