Custom Audio Amplifiers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by diofan56, Nov 27, 2005.

1. diofan56

diofan56 Member

Hi all!

I keep hearing about Custom Audio Amplifiers. I have never played through one so I cannot say for myself what I like or dislike about them.

Can someone please give me a 'review' of this amp?

Dave
    diofan56

2. redplexi

redplexi Member

I own one, but I'm selling not because I want to but I need the cash.

Here is my Take on the amp, Like you I never played one but heard the reviews. I got rid of my Bogner XTC to get my SH/SE and have never looked back. I play anything from Blues to Hard Rock to Heavy Metal. This amp will cover all.

Mine has the newer Mods that make it way more versatile than without IMO. You can dial in just about any tone you'd need by using the Gain, Volume and using the Feedback Control on the Back. The Feedback Control is great, you can get more Gain, Less gain, More Highs Less Highs, etc. With the Feedback control Pegged and the Gain up, Heavy Metal Scooped Mids are easy to get. And with dialing in the depth Mod, the amp Hits you in the Chest. then by using the FX Loop as a Master you can turn the Gain Down, Feedback Control Down and Volume up and get anything from Blackface , Tweed and Plexi tones. hard rock and Classic rock Tones are so easy, and you don't have to turn the Gain up past 12 o' clock to get this amp Rocking.

IMO, The Clean Channel is as good as any out there. I love mine, But I have too many expensive Hobbies and mine has to go to help Finance a new Harley. or else I'd hang on to it.

3. diofan56

diofan56 Member

Hi Redplexi!

Thanks for the reply! What speaker cabinet and speakers did you use with this head?

Dave
    diofan56

4. redplexi

redplexi Member

I use a Bogner bottom with 2 V30's and 2 Man o wars.

5. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

To start off with one of the best clean tones you will ever get from any amp period. Just fabulous, deep, lush, sparkly cleans. The same channel with the gain rolled on or the boost on turns it into a great classic rock, vintage overdrive channel. A LOT of classic rock tones can be obtained from that channel alone.

The overdrive channel can do everything from light overdrive to flat out smokin high gain scream. The boost function is also very useful on this channel as well. I find it very easy to get everything I need from one channel or the other with no more than using the guitar volume knob and pickup selection. Using both channels and having the boost on demand makes this a live performance guitarists dream.

I have found that I love the amp with a greenbacks, G12H30's and with the master volumes rolled back she even sounds incredible with a Celestion Alnico Blue 4x12 at VERY reasonable volume levels. The OD100SH sounds great with any guitar but I seem to like it the best with 25 1/2" scale guitars. But again, a Les Paul will rock your foundation with this baby if that's what you're looking to do! Single coils or humbuckers both excelle at the respective tasks as well with the OD100. This amp offers TONS of bottom end, nice and tight and great definition really some it up. There are also internal trimmers that allow you to further taylor your amps performance characteristics to your own liking.

In addition John and the gang at Suhr / CAA are excellent to deal with and will do pretty much anything you are willing to pay for to your amp. But I think most will find there is very little need for anything beyond what comes out of the box if you order the model / mod that suits you best from the start. I'm a blues, classic rock, fusion player and I find the SH models works perfect for my need. If you're into more modern high gain metal type of tones you may prefer to get the SE model. Again, if you talk to the guys at Suhr they'll be more than happy to answer your questions and stear you in the right direction. Hope this helps!;)

Steve

6. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

7. diofan56

diofan56 Member

Wow! That is quite the review! You sure have a way with words.

8. redplexi

redplexi Member

Then my neighbors wouldn't hear me coming Home Late at Night, and what would I do with all of my harley underwear:p

My Harley's are far from stock, but can't fly like that Machine. Cool bike.

[​IMG][/IMG]

03 Heritage Softail. 95 CI, Screaming Eagle 211 cam Heads Ported and polished. Lowered and all chrome. 102 HP/114 LBs. torque last Dyno run.

05 Road King Pics to Come.

9. diofan56

diofan56 Member

Sharp bike! What is it? How much engine?

10. redplexi

redplexi Member

My girlfriend Asks the same question all of the Time.

With the Big Bore on the Heritage, I'm the Guy that always has to stop for gas first, and the guy who has to see the chiropractor every Monday from Riding it on the weekends. The Road king solves both of those problems, but it can't smoke the back tire off.:)

11. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

You got that right. and that guy is nothing but trouble if you have GAS issues, he is a carrier. :D

Great review for sure, it is right on and a monster gigging machine indeed.

12. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

when I first saw the CAA amps in a store, I was amazed at how it is made. No frills, plastic switches. It definitely SOUNDS great, though I was dissapointed at the cosmetic choices. Dunno, maybe it's just me.

13. gregc

gregc Member

...... and as a tech I appreciate those small, recessed plastic rocker switches as they are way less prone to getting whacked and broken in regular gigging situations. Brilliant. See now, one man's brilliant is another man's 'bad cosmetic' choice...:)
    I gigged my OD100 Saturday night, in a small bar, using an open back 2x12 loaded with G12H30s. I used the effect loop pot to hold the volume down. I was very happy with the tones and and how quiet the amp was in a very nasty electrical environment.

gregc

14. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

i did check out your chassis...very impressive. :dude

15. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

Thanks. I am a fan of the amps. Got a custom OD coming any day now - right John?, and I will likely pickup an SE (once I hear where this new amp fits in) since it is the 3+ preamp in head form and a sound I enjoy for certain moods. Way different to the stock model with a more compressed distortion.

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I can't pull up that review anymore............How does this amp sound at Lower volumes? Bedroom level to small club volumes? Thanks.........

17. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

The OD has the best master vol I have ever heard on an amp, you can get great tones at bedroom levels:RoCkIn

18. niersbach

niersbach Member

Sounds absolutely wonderful at bedroom levels. And John is a great guy to deal with. I got mine used, but from someone that lives 15 minutes from Johns shop. John and the guys actually took the amp, did the latest modifications to it (added teh feedback and depth mods), thouroughly checked out the amp, and then even shipped it to me, all for 140 bucks. I figured he would have charged at least 100 bucks just to check out the amp and ship it!!!

ITs by far and away the most versatile amp I have ever owned. Absolute pristine cleans all the way to a good metal tone and all attainable at a volume that isnt waking every neighbor in a 3 block radius.

Hey John, what year is the ZX12??? I am actually the exact opposite of you...watch guys go down in the last 4 rides while on my GSXR1000 and decided it was time to slow down instead...picked up a big dog pitbull all of a week ago...

From this
    [​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

WOOT!!! LOL

19. bailnout

bailnout Member

Mr. Suhr.
    I have a few questions for you if you are still following this thread. I have an OD-100 SH with EL34s and the Plexi OT. The mods on the back are Feedback and Boost. I absolutely love this amp and all the many tones it gives me. I'm mainly an 80's hard rock/metal to 90s grunge type player with a lot of style and tone influences from EVH, Dream Theater, Neal Schon, Gilmour, Rhoades, Sykes etc. Here are my questions:

1) Can I send this amp to you for further/different mods and if so...
    2) What mods would you recommend for the styles I play in?
    3) I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with that Plexi OT but that's OK, I'm happy. But can I go back to the original tube type that the amp was designed for? Would that even be a good idea with the types of tones I'm going for?
    4) I'm pretty sure I would like the SE mod but how does it sound with EL34s and the Plexi OT?

I've gotten to the point of set and forget with the Boost and Feedback knobs on the back. If those settings can be set internally on the PCB I would definitely go for that in the interest of getting some other mods put in there place on the back panel. The depth mod sounds like it would be interesting to me but again, I would like to know what you think based on my needs.

I've seen many of your posts on this website and you've always been really gracious. I hope you can help me too!

Thanks in advance.

20. bailnout

bailnout Member

I don't know if you've gone ahead and gotten one since your original post but I'll go ahead and give you my review of the amp for you...

It's a dream come true.

There. I hope that helps. :D