Custom Color Marshall Cabinet-Price Check?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gavin, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

The owner of this cabinet and I are trying to work a trade deal but we're both unsure of exactly what its worth (though we both have an idea...at least I know I do). The cab dates to 1972 and sports it's original orange tolex, original 25 watt speakers and metal handles. The grill has been replaced. They don't come up very often so its difficult to pinpoint a price. Dealers seem to be asking insane prices and I haven't been able to find anything on eBay that comes close. What do you think its worth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Cab's like that always depend on how bad you want them. Regrilled makes it lose a lot of it's value. I already handed in my opinion, but I'm sure someone else here has some idea of what this might be worth.

3. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

4. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Looks like a big house?

5. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Its worth 1500 to 1800 if it sounds awesome.

6. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

I'd like to thank Adam as I sent him all 20 photos after he offered to help me validate the amps originality and value. Just looking for second opinions. Thanks again Adam!

7. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

So....I've got appraisals from $1500-$2500. I'm going to take a look at this cab soon so keep em coming.

8. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

re-grilling will always be an issue for collectibles such as this.

its in very nice condition though.

I'm going with 1700-1900 due to changes.

on a sonic levl, I have the same era straight cab, and I can't imagine a better marshall sound, I've not really experienced pre-rola's , but that's got to be splitting hairs, this to me is quintessential marsh tone !.

good luck with it.

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

If the speakers have original Pulsonic cones, cone #'s with 102 003, 102 3 or 3 (they're all the same) they are now bringing $1600 per quad. The cabinet looks to be in very good shape for it's age, couple of spots, but that's to be expected 36 years later. With the metal handles, and even with the grill cloth change (which looks good, I might add) that cab would sell for $800-1200 depending on the buyer's interest in that color. Sometimes a particular color brings more (or less) money.

To the right buyer, looking for this color, I'd say $2300-2800. The speakers on their own dictate most of the price, but the condition of the cab is very good so it helps the entire price as a package.

Just my lowly opinion.

10. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Yes, the cones codes are 102 003.

11. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Southbay and Demented are right on. With those speakers, I'd say around $2500

plexi

12. DEMENTED

Hey Jim, ya see that? We're right on...basically within $50 of each other, I like the orange and if I were wealthy I'd buy it.

13. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Sometimes original quads of those speakers will sell for over $1k, but not always. I would disagree they are consistantly bringing in $1600 per quad.

The more I think about this, the more I think under $2k for the cab. I understand your interest in the cab is because of the color and rarity, not because of the speakers. No matter what, the grill was changed and that affects the value in a cab like this.

14. rockindog

rockindog Member

I have had the pleasure of personally hearing this orange Tolex Marshall 4X12 cab at my home. It gushes tone and is in terrific condition. I'd pay $3K for it any day of the week if I had the matching orange Tolex Marshall head. Try to find another one in the same or better condition.

15. DEMENTED

And how much moneywise , do you think it changes things? I think '72 and older cabs are in the $2500 plus range and add the orange tolex on top of that, then subtract for the restored grill cloth. Still $2500 IMO.
    Just wondering how you are arriving at your figure.

16. redplexi

redplexi Member

25 Watt Greenback, or Black Back Speakers?

17. Scumback Speakers

Well, the last four quads of those I sold or others have sold went from $1400-1800 in the last two years. I sold a quad, not even date code matched, but tested and no issues, for $1400 18 months ago. A quad on eBay sold for $1550 two weeks ago. I've sold even the 73 models, with Rola Celestion on the labels, but with 102 3 cones, for $1100 per quad. I've seen others ask $2000 for a date code matched, no issues quad, and sell them for $1800, so the price I'm quoting is right in the ballpark with what those are.

As for the regrilled cloth, if it was brazenly new, such as brand new S&P basketweave, then you might be right. But that's an older regrill with the darker brown, basketweave cloth, which is harder to get, and may actually be an NOS bolt of original cloth, which without better pics, is what it looks like in those pics. Add to that the rarity of orange tolex, and you're in the $2500 or higher price range.

I realize I'm only basing this on my experiences, and that's only about 50 cabs of this type in 6 years, but I think it's enough to establish a pretty good rule of thumb for price.

Orange is rare, fawn is rarer still and white and purple are like holy grail colors, from what I've seen of the pricing of old cabs.

18. Scumback Speakers

If they're original to that cab, they'll be Greenbacks. And they probably are since I've never seen a BlackBack with a 102 003 cone, as they used the 1777 and 444 cones that were current cone #'s when BlackBacks came out in 75/76.

19. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Does this help show the grill cloth better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]