1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Color Marshalls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DucRyder, Jan 29, 2008.

1. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I'm curious what premium a custom color tolex i.e. red, white, purple, orange, brings over the regular black Marshall? 10 percent 20 percent etc....
    Thanks!:dude

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Depends on what year, and which color. Some are much more rare than others. Red, white, and fawn are all pretty common, and don't command as much of a premium. Orange & Purple are both rarer, and sometimes cost more.

There isn't really a definite percentage to go by. Some people hate colors and think the are worth less than a basic black one.

Recovered ones are worth less than any of the original covered ones, black or colored.

3. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

It really depends on the amp, color and originality. A red MG solid state Marshall will add a minimal amount to the value (if any) but a '68 plexi in original purple may double the price. Then theres the rarest of colors like yellow which could command more than double on the same piece that is black. Straight cabs will also cost a little more as most people buy half stacks with angled cabs so there's not as many straight cabs to be had. My favorite are the orange tolexed Marshalls.

4. Big0range

Big0range Member

Well, obviously Orange is going to be the most valuable!! And if you can go with an orange & white checkerboard, like the one in Tennessee's end zone - it should match ounce-for-ounce with gold.

On a slightly more serious note, and in keeping with this thread - if I've gotta re-cover an early 80's Marshall cab (1982A), is there a future value issue + or - if I go with any color other than the original black?

5. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

I believe the yellow is a little rarer. I've never seen one before in person but have seen pictures.

6. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

It is my understanding that there were only 6 yellow ones ever made, one of our members here used to own one.

7. KazJY

KazJY Member

I just read Jim Marshall: The Father of Loud -- good book by the way, but in the book, there's a photo of rolls and rolls of colored covering sitting on a shelf, and the caption reads "Collectors go crazy for different color cabinets, while rolls of the colored covering sit on a shelf". You wonder how often a "new" colored cab comes off the line nowadays.

Real cool factory photos in the book too. I hope they update this book someday.

Anyhow - back the regularly scheduled thread....

8. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

WOW...only 6 yellows. I would have neve guessed there were that few made.

9. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I've never seen one...yellow would be cool!

10. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Nope, a recover is a recover. Doesn't make a difference what color, they are always worth less than original coverings.

The yellow story comes up pretty often in rarity of Marshall discussions, and like most things rare about Marshall, it is next to impossible to really know. I've seen a lot of things that were supposedly never made. Maybe there are 6 yellow Marshalls, might not be any that weren't recovered. No one seems to have any good pictures of them to document them.

[​IMG]

11. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

12. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

The one color that I know exists - at least there's photos of 1 or 2 of them in Doyle's "History of Marshall" book is a sweet looking Navy Blue. I really dig it. I've never seen one for sale, or otherwise.

13. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Didn't they do a Blue Anniv. stack back in the 90's as well?

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Very true - forgot about that! Good call. I was thinking more the old 4 input Marshalls.

15. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I've seen two examples of the old late 60s blue. Neither was for sale though. Gorgeous.

There was the blue anniversary, the sliver anniversary, the hendrix reissue purple, etc. Those weren't really custom colors because they weren't custom ordered. They all came in only those colors (yeah, I know they changed the silver anniversary models to black, etc, but it was only available in one color) Same with the new RR stack. It only comes in white, so white isn't really a custom color.

There is a really good thread from a few weeks ago about custom colored Marshalls with a lot of TGP'ers photos. Worth searching for.

16. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Adam, thanks for the heads up... I only have a Custom colored 4x12 from 1973 so here's a pic.

[​IMG]