1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Designed Guitar

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Mr. G., Oct 19, 2005.

1. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Here's the deal... I've designed a guitar that I would love to have built, but there's no way I could do it myself. So, I was wondering if there were any luthiers who build guiatars from the customers own design. The body is basicaly a mix between a LP and a Tele, and the headstock is a mix between a LP and a PRS. I've already drawn it up in CAD to make things a little easier. If you know somebody, or you are that somebody... lets talke.

2. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

My suggestion would be to contact Scott Heatley. I am sure there are several builders who do that sorta thing, but I know he does custom jobs.

www.heatleyguitars.com

3. flicker180

flicker180 Member

you could try Schroeder, but....not a lot of places deviate from their standard patterns.

dave

4. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I just e-mailed Scott, so hopefully I'll hear back from him.

5. petrucci

petrucci Member

Check out MYKA for sure before deciding on anyone! Check out this guitar he is building for a friend of mine:

http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/034/default.htm

Totally custom to my buddies specs on everything. Check out those sweet pickup covers! I don't want to post anothers prices but MYKA's prices are great with very reasonable build times.

6. MOJO

MOJO Member

wow!! that is Excellant!! love the matched covers.. EMG'S?

7. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

That is a sweet looking guitar!

8. petrucci

petrucci Member

The pickups are humbuckers from a 1989 PRS and are direct mounted. Myka made the covers for cosmetic puposes only and they don't color the sound.
    This entire guitar is a cross between the sound and tone of a 1989 PRS CE and the playability and upper fret access of a John Petrucci Signature Ibanez with that boutique small builder mojo and love. I imagine it will be sick!

He should be getting this tomarrow.

9. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

Holy Crap...........did u have him copy the PRS or the Petrucci Ibanez neck ?????

Could he built one of those for someone else, like i dont know, maybe me ?

10. petrucci

petrucci Member

Adam doesn't have a BAM name or anything yet so he is writing this:

I had Dave copy the petrucci neck 100% and the petrucci body but with a carved top and set neck instead of the petrucci's bolt-on neck and flat top.

I had him copy everything I loved from every guitar I have ever had (petrucci neck, '89 PRS CE sound, inverted input jack, piezo, 5-way wired my way, string through the body, ect).

I have no doubt he could do anything you want and let me say that his prices were great, working with him could not have been easier and his build time was much shorter than almost all others. Totally a great experice all the way around. Look for more pics and a full report tomarrow - feel free to ask any questions you want and anyone who wants to come to Maryland can come be and try her in person if they want.

Here is Dave Myka's email: david@mykaguitars.com

11. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

Great God, that's a gorgeous guitar. MYKA impresses me more with each new instrument.

12. Luca Z

Luca Z Member

PRSplaya,

I have a similar project going on, and I have found a luthier here in Switzerland that will do the job for me, whenever I finish the design. I am still working on the body. My suggestion is to find someone close to you, so that you can have full control over the building process. Being a custom design, you will have a lot of things to discuss in the making. Good luck.

13. sonicparke

sonicparke Member

David also worked with another customer (a member here I think) to build this one the customer had designed.

Myka Sungazer

14. -kk-

-kk- Member

Let me just chime in here. David has worked with a few very satisfied customer here, myself included (#25). he's very open to new ideas and has lots of good ideas himself.

The man knows what he's doing, just drop him a line or give him a call, you wont regret it.

just my 2 cents.

15. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Just sent David an e-mail.

16. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

If it's set neck...Warmoth

17. petrucci

petrucci Member

Just my opinion but I would but Warmoth at the very end of the custom builder list personally. They are good for do-it-yourself projects, but I have never seen or heard anything to make me think they can stand up to Myka, Driskill, Heatley, PRS, ect. in any way.

18. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Just heard back from David (that was fast). He seems like a really nice guy to deal with. He also really liked my design, and has me very excited about getting it built. Unfortunately, I can't commit, financialy, to anything until early next year (Christmas puts a hurting on the gear funds :( ). But, that will give me plenty of time to make sure my design is exactly like I want. Thanks for all the suggestions y'all!

19. jcground

jcground Member

20. blackburncustom

blackburncustom Member