1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Custom ES-335 Memphis or Nashville...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dylan61, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Can someone shine his light here for me,

are there two Gibson Custom Shops for the ES-335, one in Memphis and one in Nashville?

I like to have the '59 with the Fat neck...

Thanks in advance

2. in a little row

in a little row Member

Thats a bit of a misnomer...the only custom shop is in Nashville, while the 335s are all made here in memphis...your special order (custom) would be assembled in memphis and all appropriate hardware would come from nashville if not in stock in the memphis facility...

j

3. johnrussell

johnrussell Member

he's right-- the solid bodies are Nashville, the hollow and semi hollow are Memphis. If you should ever take the Memphis Gibson factory tour, do it before 2 pm. Many of the luthiers have left for the day by then. (They start early)

4. pattste

pattste Member

Yes. The shop in Memphis is under Custom Shop management and is considered part of the Custom Shop. They make all the ES models except for the Historic Reissue models which are made in Nashville. In other words, Gibson doesn't make regular production ES models anymore.

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

And prior to '06 or '07, the Custom Shop ES's were made in the Nashville Custom Shop (and say so on the orange sticker in the f cavity) along with the other Historics. Alas, no more.

6. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Well all I know is that my "fatneck" 335 - which I believe is not a CS 335 - is a better guitar than my Historic was! And I don't know where it was made! I suspect it was Tennessee...