1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Guitar...First Time Shopper

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by slpayne, May 22, 2011.

1. slpayne

slpayne Member

Hey everyone! I am looking into buying my first boutique/custom guitar, as well as my first boutique amp. my budget is about 7000 and i need some advice...so far as guitars ive heard good things about Maguire, Roman, PRS, and Duesenberg and for amp ive heard Matchless, Tophat, and Vox. for the amp i want a low-ish wattage (70 watts or under...about 40 would be nice) combo. I have NO idea where to start so any advice would be appreciated :) thanks!

2. verhoevenc

verhoevenc Member

Well, what KIND of guitar are you looking for. Most builders have a specialty, so that would be a good place to start. Recommendations will change dramatically as to whether you're looking for a vintage correct replica type guitar or something totally custom.
    Chris

3. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

Just throwing out this combo suggestion:

Thorn/Carr

4. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Just for a quick reply, I like Don Grosh and Collings guitars and Two Rock amps.

You can get Strat, Tele and Les Paul types from Grosh and Les Paul and ES types from Collings-that covers a lot of bases.

If you buy used, you'll save a bundle and stay within your budget.

5. slpayne

slpayne Member

Definitely not a strat or tele style guitar at all...I want something along the lines of a PRS custom 24 or a Duesy Mike Campbell...I dont think i know enough about building guitars to get one totally custom...that part of the reason for the thread :)...that being said, probably no vintage replicas with the exception of like an AC 30 amp or something like that

6. mwhy

mwhy Member

THat's a pretty healthy budget, so you have many options.

What do you have now, and what music are you playing?

7. slpayne

slpayne Member

i have a fender american deluxe strat HSS and a gibson les paul studio faded...playin thru a bugera matchless clone...i play alot of different stuff...mostly Christian worship music and jazz....quite a bit of blues and rock as well

8. slpayne

slpayne Member

and 7000 is for guitar and amp....id prefer to stay under 5000 but im lookin hard at a duesy mike campbell so idk lol

9. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

PRS Starla and a /13 RSA23 combo would be an awesome rig, and well under your stated budget.

10. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Member

Suhr can cover your guitar and your amp needs. Great customer service, and instruments. McInturff guitars, and Quinn amps are some of the best. Lots of quality builders out there who can make what you want. Good time to buy high end gear.

11. imissmj

imissmj Member

PRS Artist 5 / Quinn Amps Churchmouse / Bunch O Booteek Pedals :)

12. wayben

wayben Member

Don Grosh guitar and Dr. Z amp. They each make a variety of models to meet your needs.

Wayne

13. verhoevenc

verhoevenc Member

Well if you're looking for something along those lines... I'm gunna have to throw the idea of a Myka Custom Doublecut and a Two Rock amp out there. Give David a ring he's an amazing builder, great guy to deal with, and if my memory serves me he has a Two-Rock amp and could give you a pretty good impression of how his guitars play with them.
    But yeah, David makes some KILLER DC guitars (although lately he's been popping out a lot more single cuts):
    [​IMG]
    Chris

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

There's a McInturff Taurus Standard T at Willicutts that would be a very nice fit for the kind of guitar you're interested it.

15. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I would try a bunch of guitars before I even dreamed of dropping part or all of $7k on custom gear. Heck, half of that can buy you a sweet rig.

16. rolltide

rolltide Member

Where do you live? There may be places to play some nice guitars around you. If not, what style of music are you aiming for?

If you like the Voxes, I'd look seriously at Morgan amps. Joe makes a lot of Vox-inspired amps, including an AC40 and a Dual 40. They are all handwired and come with a lifetime guarantee. For what you get, they don't break the bank either.

17. anyone

anyone Member

So... what do you want that you're not getting from your current setup?
    Just curious...

(If I HAD to spend that kinda dough, I'd look for a BF Princeton Reverb and then talk to Saul Koll about something Gretschy...)

18. slpayne

slpayne Member

lol 7k is the absolute max so the further under i stay the better...i just wish there was some place close to me where i could play some of these things...im stuck in the middle of north carolina haha

19. slpayne

slpayne Member

and so far as what im wanting....its tone...i just dont know what kind of tone yet. Im waiting on a timmy overdrive which will help but thats why im seeking advice and seeming so naive. I have no idea what tone im wanting but im seeking names and brands to try to get me started in the hunt. unless i come up on the deal of a lifetime, im no where near the purchasing stage right now

20. slpayne

slpayne Member

and i'll be playing primarily Christian worship music, blues, jazz, and rock