Custom guitar: Opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SFW, Feb 21, 2006.

1. SFW

SFW Member

I know that this should go in the Guitar Forum, but I know you guys…

I seriously want a work horse guitar. A bare bones- alder body, maple neck with rosewood board. Floyd rose. No finish.

So here are the choices that I’ve narrowed in down to. I can either order all the parts from Warmoth – roughly $600 without electronics and hardware. Or I can order a solid alder body C66 from Carvin for roughly $800. If I go the Carvin way, I will still end up changing the pups, but the guitar has been assembled already and all I have to do is slap some pups in it.

So what would you do?

2. hear and play

hear and play Member

C66? What you're descrbing sounds like a Bolt Plus C, not a C66...

Unless you don't like the specs or neck profile, I'd go with the Carvin. The only concern is whether their routing will allow you to swap pickups.

Buy the Carvin. If you don't like it, or need to route it and don't want to, return it before the 10 day trail period.

3. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Do you enjoy the assembly and wiring? If so I'd go with the Warmoth and save a few bucks. If you just get it and play maybe the Carvin is the better option. I kind of enjoy the assembly stuff, so for me, I'd do Warmoth.

Good luck and post pics whatever you do.

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'd go Warmoth. Just better wood IMO. Just FYI: I have a killer dimarzio Bridge PuP for rock and VH type tones if your interested. Its a bit of a work horse itself and has seen some action........but its a killer PuP . I took it out of a guitar I sold becuase I didn't want to let it go. But I'm not gonna use it anytime soon so if you want it its yours..............

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

try looking at usacustomguitars.com they are kinda like warmoth,they use hiquality woods ect....they do some nice binding on strats like warmoth offer as well..

6. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've built a Warmoth Tele and despite my general spasticity it turned out ok. Great sounding guitar. Best thing about going the Warmoth route is you get exactly what you want, with a huge amount of choices. And they do quality stuff.

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Warmoth .. get the exact neck you want ...

8. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

Buying Warmoth parts can end up being an expensive propositon. By the time you buy everything including the hardware, you can be in well over $1000-1200 on a parts guitar. And if you ever try to sell it, you'll be lucky to get 1/2 you money back unless you find the right buyer.

But going with Warmoth is a fun way to customize your guitar and get exactly what you want if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Just know what you're getting into financially down the road re-sale wise.

Carvin's are a heck of a value money wise. I haven't played one if the newer ones though, and can't really say.

You also might want to keep your eye out for a used Anderson or Grosh. I've seen really nice ones come up for $1000-1500.

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Actually I build a USA Custom and sold it for exactely what I put in .. $1K maybe I just got lucky.

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

If you an try a Carvin for no risk (they are rare up here) you might find that you like it even with the standard pups.
    Any finish you use at home, outside of oil, stain and wax, is a load of work and you do need something on the body to resist dirt.

A bit of routing (the word is 'rout') is not that hard if you are a DIY guy.