1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Guitar (USACG vs. Warmoth)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mightytaco, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mightytaco

mightytaco Member

I have recently been playing with the idea of making a custom strat. I have heard that USACG makes a better strat body and that Warmoth makes better necks. In terms of quality which shop produces better quality parts? Are there any shops better than this online? And lastly will a Warmoth neck fit with a USACG body?

2. yumanike

yumanike Member

3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Actually I think USACG makes better necks mainly to do the fretwork. Bodies should be more or less equal. The bodies and neck should be interchangable. Tommy at USA has much better service IMO. You may also want to look into musikraft.

4. DanielT2

DanielT2 Member

We've all been there once! :D

Try using the Google Search function on this forum and search for 'Warmoth' or 'USACG' etc, there should be dozens of useful threads out there on these matters.

5. Mark C

Mark C Member

I've had parts from both, and they're both good. I think USACG has the edge for necks from my experience - both the necks I ordered from them were perfect, whereas I've had to do a little work on warmoth and allparts necks to get them to play right. YMMV - good luck.

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

+1 on USACG making better necks... I dunno were you heard that Warmoth makes better necks. Don't get me wrong, they make good necks, too.

7. Curly

Curly Member

I agree. I have to speak up for Tommy after doing several projects with him. His necks and fretwork are excellent! I happen to think his bodies have a little more zing too.

however, I think it's essential that you know the exact specs you want -- back profile, frets, etc. -- or you may be disappointed regardless of where you order

8. mightytaco

mightytaco Member

Do the USACG necks come finished? Or do you need to pay extra. I'm trying to keep the cost down, which is hard to do when I want a nice guitar.

9. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

Either USACG or Warmoth are going to cost you extra to finish the neck. There are a number of ways to finish a neck yourself that aren't too difficult (tru-oil, wipe-on poly, tung oil, etc.) if you want to cut costs and don't mind working on it yourself.

As for quality, I'd go for USACG for the neck for sure, much better fretwork. Bodies are of equal quality, and they should all be compatible with each other.

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

USACG is top notch in quality and service. I have a neck on order right now from them, and had stuff from them before, all excellent. I wish I could say the same for Warmoth.

11. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Been down this road, and would give a very slight nod to USACG. Tommy is absolutely great to deal with.

Steve

12. jay42

jay42 Member

I bought EC profile necks from both. The Warmoth was far more accurate. Warmoth must have actually had one and did a proper job of capturing the profile. The USACG is a very good neck, but it cannot be confused with that profile. Neither is particularly accurate right at the nut. The EC's I've played flatten out right under the nut area.

13. doublee

doublee Member

I just got a tele neck from USAG and the fret job is beautiful. They may need a touch more polishing is all. However the headstock profile does NOT quite match a tele but fortunately its a little larger in a couple of spots making it easy to sand down to match. I suspect its a copyright issue perhaps.

14. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

One consideration is that Warmoth offers photos of a ton of available necks and bodies in the 'showcase' section of their site. It's nice to see the actual wood you are going to get. They also post the weight of each body.

15. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Unless USAG levels the frets on their necks, I fail to see how the frets on a USAG neck could be better than the frets on a Warmoth neck. I have owned many Warmoth necks over the years, and received a new neck from Warmoth about a week ago with stainless steel frets. Like all other necks I own or have owned, the frets on Warmoth necks are never precision level, but level enough to play on. As far as beveling and polishing goes, Warmoth has always done a stellar job on their frets.

It would be pointless to level the frets on an unfinished neck when the application of a hard finish afterwards could cause the neck to flex in such a way that it causes the frets become unlevel. Another point worth making, is that no matter how exacting a fret installation process is, it is impossible to install frets and have them level without a fret leveling.

16. DC1

DC1 Member

USACG

They're the best.

[​IMG]

I had a bad experience with Warmoth.

USACG was wonderful and the quality is top shelf.

DC

17. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I got a USA CG Strat body and Maple neck, with a route for a Skyway Vibrato bridge. Both were excellent quality, but they screwed up the finish twice, in spite of many sample pictures and eMails with details. They weren't even close. They gave me a refund of the finish without a hassle, so I have no complaints.

After a while, I realized I didn't like the specs I'd chosen for the neck, so I checked many sources for a new custom Maple neck with different specs. Because of all the things I wanted, I ended up choosing Warmoth, who was the only one with the exact specs I wanted. Plus their prices were better. The neck is great except for a couple of weak spots - not completely dead spots - but not a deal breaker. You never know with a piece of wood. All in all I'm very happy with the new neck, which fit the USA CG body with no problems.

18. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I've ordered 2 bodies and necks from USACG and they were top notch in quality and service. I've ordered pickups and tuners from Warmoth and their service was top notch.

19. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Bingo. Both are essentially equivalent for fret level and subject to the limitations of any pressed fret process and tolerances. As you indicated, no neck can be leveled properly until it has been mounted on a guitar, truss rod adjusted, and strung up for a period of time so that all the stresses have done their thing.

20. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I've bought several bodies and necks from Warmoth and all have been top notch - no complaints. Some of the bodies are unique:
    1 piece swamp ash strat body - 3 lbs.
    1 piece mahongany strat body - 3 lbs. (this thing is resonant as hell!)
    1 piece alder strat body - 4lbs.
    2 piece, center joined alder strat body - 3 lbs. 8 oz.

I've not yet purchased from USACG, but have heard great things about them. I have watched theri "web specials" section and have to admit that most of the bodies I've seen there didn't do it for me. They were either on the heavy side (I like lite guitars) or had knotts or other blemishes.