custom pedalboard builders - whose out there?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleewell, Dec 7, 2012.

1. sleewell

sleewell Member

please help a noob out, who do you like that is making custom boards without a huge waiting list / build time?

not looking for anything crazy huge or real expensive, i just want to customize it and get something fairly nice.

thanks!

Bill

2. tibbon

tibbon Member

Are you talking about a physical board itself, or wiring up your stuff?

If the first- what do you need that a Pedaltrain can't do? If you want something that's actually customized and unique, it will be expensive.

3. sleewell

sleewell Member

i kinda want one that i can pick out the tolex colors on the board and case. thinking of either tweed or orange. i can wire it all up, just looking for something a little more customizeable.

4. black_moses846

black_moses846 Member

5. iahawk36

iahawk36 Supporting Member

Blackbird pedal boards are running a special right now.... $250 for any standard size board and a hard case. Got mine a couple months ago and it is AWESOME!!

www.blackbirdpedalboards.com

6. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

7. insubordination

insubordination Member

2nd vote for Blackbird. Top notch stuff and custom choices!

8. sleewell

sleewell Member

9. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I LOVE the tweed covered boards...too bad my budget wont allow it :(

they look so frickin sweet!!!

10. ceridwenstudios

ceridwenstudios Member

PumaMan makes some nice ones too. His is the design I copied when I made my own.
    You can build one for around $50 (1/2" ply, hardware, 3-prong socket, wood stain, velcro if desired). Tolex or Tweed will cost more though.

http://pumaboards.com/

-JH

11. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Love my pumaman board. Kevin and Colleen are great peeps.

12. grego

grego Member

I just ordered a Helweg. I tried ordering a Pumaboard initially, but he would not respond to my quote request, nor my follow-up emails, and I must have tried to contact him 5 times over the course of a month. One would think that Pumaman would have wanted my business (the board I ordered from Helweg was just over $1k with the Mondo power supply), but I guess not. Whatever -- after Pumaman blew me off, I discovered Helweg when I went looking for alternatives. From the looks of it, Pumaboards are like a really nice Chevy sedan. And Helwegs (especially with the full case option) are like a new Bentley.

Now I just have to wait until July for my Helweg...Ugh!

13. Phletch

Phletch Member

NYC Pedalboards. I ordered from overseas, and it was no hassle at all. Mike has a good system and he is 100% professional. All boards are built to order, and his turnaround time is 7-10 days (when I ordered); total wait time for me was less than three weeks, and I live in New Zealand. His standard boards are great, and he does custom, too. Built like a tank if durability is a concern.

http://www.nycpedalboards.com/

14. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

Wow,

Glad I caught this post.

Never had to come on here to defend myself but Grego....

I have never "blown off" you or anyone else. Not my style. If I got an email from you I would have answered it. It's always possible , of course, to miss one e-mail but I can't imagine missing 5...really? I will say that my website was hacked and had to be shut down for about 2 weeks recently. Don't know if that had anything to do with me not getting your e-mails.

At anyrate I'm sorry if you thought I was blowing you off, but that simply was not the case.

15. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

I ordered a Helweg a couple weeks ago. I can't wait. On the other hand, it's really giving me a chance to lock in the features I want and the way it's slotted/setup.

Also, they have been a pure joy to deal with. Quick replies to all my emails, courteous, and very professional.

16. grego

grego Member

On 11/15/12, at 3:55 pm, I received the below automated reply from your email system:

I have received your Pumaboards quote request!

I will look it over and email you with a final price quote and any questions I have. Once the final price is determined, I will give you the go-ahead to pay me. The text of your request is below. If you see any errors, email me at
    info@pumaboards.com.

Thanks for your request! I appreciate your business.

Pumaboard Quote Request

Name *
    xxx (name withheld to protect the innocent)
    Email *
    xxxx
    Address *
    xxxx
    Phone Number (optional)
    xxx
    Board size *
    15 x 28 ($230)
    Frame material *
    Custom (specify below)
    Custom frame material
    Cream Bronco Tolex, with Black Bronco stripes
    Top *
    Black Velcro Loop Fabric
    Metal corners *
    Black
    Grommet
    1.25" inside diameter
    Racing stripe
    Rally stripe (+$30)
    Stripe material
    No racing stripe
    Handles
    Black (+$15)
    Power Socket
    Left side (+$25)
    A/C Outlet
    No
    Where do you want the A/C outlet?
    Left side.
    # of Neutrik 1/4" jacks (+$15 each)
    Where do you want the Neutriks placed?
    4 on left side, 1 on right side
    Other additions
    · Add a package of 4 ft. x 2" industrial-strength, adhesive-backed Velcro (+$10)
    · Add aluminum brackets for PPII power supply (+$10)
    · Add a power supply patch cord (+$10)
    If adding a patch cord, which power supply are you using?
    PP2+ (two of them eventually)
    Case size
    No case
    Case color
    No case
    Payment method *
    Money Order / Cashier's Check
    Where did you hear about Pumaboards?
    Saw one on stage at a local show that a guy in another band had. Fell in love with it.

The next day, I noticed a small change I wanted to make, and emailed you, and received no response. Over the course of the next week, I emailed three more times. Again, no response. If your website was hacked, then the lack of response is certainly understandable. You may want to post something on the various boards, as you may have lost a number of potential sales (folks in my situation). Was this period in November when I tried contacting you the time frame in which you were hacked?

17. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

Yep going back through my e-mails.

I first found out my site was hacked on 11-24

Last contact directly from my website was on 10-22

Took my webmaster untill 12-6 to basicly start from scratch and move to a new server (something that was needed anyways)

So again none of your e-mails made it here. I keep them all for 6 months and I just checked them again. I didn't get your quote request but you got the automated reply. That wasn't good.

Sorry again for the inconvience

18. grego

grego Member

Kevin -- no need to apologize. Looks like you were the victim of some asshole. In any event, sorry I jumped to conclusions. It never crossed my mind that you were having troubles with your site. Judging from the popularity of your boards, I don't think that me going with a different shop is going to hurt ya too much! I really do like your boards -- the Helwegs and your product are really similar, just different flavors. I hope that the Helweg I ordered is as solid as the Pumaboard I got to check out.

Best of luck, Kevin. Don't think you need any luck though -- guys seem really happy with your stuff.

19. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

No worries mano.

Glad I got a chance to clear that up. :)