custom poweramp - would this work?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by spaceboy, Jul 6, 2004.

1. spaceboy

spaceboy Member

well, for some time I've been thinking about this idea for the ultimately versatile power amp... but **** knows if it would work.

I'm thinking of something like this - 4 EL84s, 2 6L6s, 2 El34s and 2 KT88s (maybe 2 KT66s? are they very different?). first - you can easily select between using any of the types of tube for different tones. second, and this is the main idea I'm hoping (but doubting) will work - you can switch in/out the desired amount of tubes!

so, you want power tube distortion at the lowest possible volume - you just use 1 EL84. you want maximum clean headroom? you use two KT88s. you want marshall-esque power tube od, you use the EL34s, either one or two depending on where you are. see? so, let's say for instance that an EL84 is 8 watts, 6L6 is 20w, EL34s are 25w and KT88s are 30w, just for argument's sake. then you can choose between having an amp of 8, 16, 20, 24, 25, 30, 32, 40, 50 or 60 watts!

yeh, so hopefully you see what I'd like to do, but is it possible? I mean, as far as my meagre (but growing) amp knowledge goes, i know it would have to be a Class A amp, seeing as you would be using odd numbers of tubes. or at least, it couldn't be class AB at any rate.

i dunno, just gimme your thoughts, comments, call me an imbecile for even contemplating the idea, whatever. it'd be ****ing sweet if it did work though! :BluesBros

2. spaceboy

spaceboy Member

lol! :D

that's quite impressive. got quite a few of the features i was wanting for mine - and quite a few i hadn't thought of, but definately want!

but what about actually switching between tube types and number of tubes? could that be done at all? or even instantly, with a footswitch or something?

thanks

3. Old Fuzzface

Old Fuzzface Member

Matamp have done some designs that allow front panel selection of 1, 2, 3 or 4 valves in the o/p stage. The one I saw also had a triode/pentode switch and a class A/AB select on it. Loads of options. Possibly too many options. I don't know if they've ever made a footswitchable version, though.

They also did a "Peter Green" model that had 2xEL34s and 2x KT66 (I think). You could switch between the two pairs of o/p valves. This one sounded very nice.

I think the problem with going too far down this road is that you end up with what are essentially multiple amps in one box. That means the box will be (a) heavy, (b) expensive and (c) partially redundant since most users will not like every option you give them. The Mesa RoadKing springs to mind as I type this for some reason.

Maybe a multi-amp setup using stock amps would be easier to put together and more flexible?

4. spaceboy

spaceboy Member

cool, well, I'll take that as a "yes, it's certainly feasable..."

my main consideration when thinking about this was the idea of power tube distortion at as many different volumes as possible for any occasion, and within that there would be the considerations of which tubes to use for which sounds and whether to sacrifice having exactly the right volume for having the right tube type, or not using the tube type you might really want in order to have just the right levels volume and distortion etc.

maybe it would turn out to be more than I need... in fact, I'm fairly it will... But it would just be nice to have that "one" amp - or many amps in one housing, or whatever you want to call it - to solve all my power amp needs! I could build, and not have to worry about getting another power amp again (hopefully - though I'm sure I'll find a reason) because I have nearly all possible power amps already!

well, I guess it must be possible then, but as you rightly say - it will be VERY difficult to do... could one transformer power all those types of power tubes? or I need four transformers?? bugger. that would suck.

Well, I'll have to look into it more. and of course, i firstly just need to try building somethng that works, let alone switches between this and that blah blah blah...

oh well, thanks for your help!

5. 908SSP

908SSP Member

You need to check out Maven Peal. Switchable power tubes and power tube distortion at anything from 1/100 watts it works I have one.

http://www.mavenpeal.com/