Custom Reverb Signature and OD pedals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rock72, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Killing time while waiting for the Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature (50w head) to arrive this week, what OD pedals do you guys use with yours and for what?

I'm psyched about it coming :D

2. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

As far as I was concerned when I had mine...I had no use for od pedals with that amp...between the gain channel, and what the EQ bypass did to give hair to the clean channel or give major OD boost to the gain channel, I can't imagine wanting to color it with anything else.

I could see adding an RC booster for a transparent clean boost on top of what the amp could already do, if you were just dead set on getting more girth for some reason..but that's about it for me.

If anything once I enjoyed the simplicity of that amp with just a guitar, I really had little need for pedals any longer and just wanted to hear the wood of the guitar. My Fulltone OCD, Fulltone 10th Anniv Mosfet and RC Booster sat idle for the 2 years I owned the amp.

Enjoy your amp, it's killer.

3. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Oh i have a feeling your gonna miss that LDO now. It would've killed through the Clean Channel.

4. theHoss

theHoss Member

I have a custom reverb artist which is pretty comparable. I have found that in the EQ1 (less gain voicing) it takes all pedals very well. I run all my tone controls at noon which helps my strat sit nicely in the mix.

On my gigging board I run a Barber Burn Unit EQ as my lead tone (one channel set with the gain dimed, the other side set pretty low), and a TIM as my rhythm. The Tim I run pretty low gain and it sounds incredibly organic. If I want the Tim as my lead tone, I just kick on the lead channel of the CRA which is set more as a volume boost with minimal gain and very clean.

I can't say enough about this rig....it is really sweet right now with that pedal combo.

Interested to see what others are doing.

Edit: I forgot to add a musical context

I play lead guitar in a blues/rock/reggae original project with some covers thrown in. The board mentioned above is what I use in this project. I primarily play melodic lines. Here are some examples of the covers we do:

Black Magic Woman (burn unit)
    Before You Accuse Me (tim low gain and CRA Lead Channel for lead)
    Start Me Up (tim for rhythm)
    Cocaine (burn unit lead, tim rhythm)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  5. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I agree !

6. sinner

sinner Member

I had the Version 2 sig 50 watter and used it with and without pedals. So it can be done, and quite nicely too.

The master volume does work very well, but to get some excitement at very low volumes I stacked an RC Boost, Zendrive, and a Landgraff all together--result: like a train wreck! I tried this in every possible combination of pedals, and clean channel, gain channel, bypass mode, everything--many options to explore with that amp!

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

hahaha, big +1:D:Spank:nono:eek:

I'd grab another one of those, if I was Christian ;)

Also, the one I played sounded *killer* w/ both a Tim & a T-Rex OD of some sort (can't remember the name). Vintage TS-808 or AM modified one would be killer, too!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts and see lots of pics :D

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Thanks for responses so far. It's great to hear that you could live without any pedals with this amp. I've slowly been reducing the number of ODs I use, so that's excellent. The music style I'll be using it for is bluesrock to classic rock to modern rock, so it should fit the bill nicely.

Marko and Greg, yepp I'm sure I miss the LDO...go some other good ones to fill the vacancy though ;).

9. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Don't these have enough OD already? Not trying to be funny, I have never played one, but aren't they in the Dumble camp? I can't imagine wanting to spend several thousand $ on an amp and be concerned it doesn't have enough OD.:confused:
    What would you need more for? Just a volume boost?

10. sinner

sinner Member

Amp only goes to 10, pedal goes to 11, that's one more!

11. Rock72

Rock72 Member

For different reasons. "Mudslide' mentioned above that it is very helpful at low volumes "to get some excitement". Also, nothing wrong with having a couple of OD pedals set at different gain levels which also are in different tonal territory. Just adds to the flexibility of a rig.

:BEER

12. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Gotcha.