Custom scalloping?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by buffbiff21, Aug 13, 2008.

1. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

Where can I send, for instance, a Warmoth/USACG/Musikraft neck to be scalloped? Are there any luthiers out there that offer professional level scalloping? Are there any companies with websites that I could send it to? I know Warmoth does but they limit it to "Warmoth Pro" construction and that means dual acting truss. I've not had good luck with dual acting truss rods.

I'd be using a simple 1pc maple neck.

Thanks

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

There's a guy in Michigan who does fine scallop work - I'll have to dig up his name. The placement of the side dots is key here. If they are too close to the fretboard edge you will lose them, or half of them so they need to be down a bit.

The only issue I've experienced was with a neck that I had scalloped and the dots replaced afterwards. The D/A rod nut snapped off and that was that - kindling. I think when he drilled for the new dots he damaged the truss rod. The other neck he did is fine - I need to build something with that one of these days -

3. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Have you played a scalloped neck and your sure you like them? Just sayin it's not for everyone. Instead of spending big bucks, I just found an old Kramer neck on Ebay and did it myself with a half round file and lots of sanding just to see if I liked it. Turns out, it's kinda cool but it didn't "transform" my playing so I couldn't justify spending "done right" money.
    FWIW, I had no trouble playing it but several players I know absolutley hated it. Still have the Kramer neck here for a future project...maybe.

5. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

Positive.

6. Luke

Luke Senior Member

I did my own using my Dremel tool. I eventually had to make my own rollers of sandpaper and went up to 1000 grit, it turned out great. If you do it yourself have the edges marked with masking tape and use a fret board radius to try and keep teh scallop parallel with the rest of the neck.

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

I thought about just scalloping the treble side of a neck, where I'd actually be bending strings and leaving the E,A,D side normal so I could play chords without wonky intonation. I think I've seen this done before on some Yamahas, usually above the 12th fret.

8. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

That's Blackmore style scalloping. Personally, I bend the hell out of the EAD strings too, even on chords. Otherwise, I have a light touch when not employing vibrato, so a full-blown scallop would not be a problem.

Btw.. I would not feel comfortable scalloping a neck using a Dremel.

9. paulscape

paulscape Member

Ive owned a couple of scalloped necks and own the USA YJM 2007 strat with deep scalloping. The JYM strat I find to be one of the easiest of my guitars to keep in tune and Ive never experienced wonky intonation on the chords. I actually like the scalloping on the lower strings/frets and being able to get 'vibrato chords'. I also scalloped and laquered a squire neck myself a few years back same way as rob2001 and while the clear coat finish wasn't pro it played really well. In fact it was a faster and easier to play neck than my YJM strat. Its not a hard thing to do...just sit there and file/sand the wood away and then re-finish. You could try it out on a cheap neck and if you do a good job then work on your Warmoth neck.

USA YJM strat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Below is a factory mildly scalloped neck from a fake Yngwie strat made in china. The neck has a thin oil finish ala Ernie Ball music man guitars
    [​IMG]

10. Luke

Luke Senior Member

A Dremel removes the wood in the direction of the grain, using a round file you are going against the grain. Since the speed is adjustable, you can speed up or slow down. When I finished up at 1000 grit at full speed the wood was as smooth as glass.

11. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

Doesn't it start smoking and burning the wood from friction?

12. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

I'm usually a DIY guy but I'm not doing this myself. Period. Blackmore and Yngwie did their own but I'd rather have it turn out looking decent too.