custom shop fender

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by neastguy, Jul 30, 2005.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I played a custom shop strat, dunno 60's or something with nocaster written on the pickups, and I must say it was a lot nicer than my strat... at any rate, are Suhrs on the same level or above the quality of a custom shop/nocaster?

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

I personally think that every Suhr I've ever played (even the ones I wasn't crazy about) were easily as good as, and more often way better, than most CS strats I've played. If I was going to buy a guitar online without playing it, I'd rest easier that I was going to get a great guitar if I bought a Suhr. I don't know if I'd buy a CS anything without playing it first.

3. corgiears

corgiears Member

Generally I like the Custom Shop stuff, and I have a "Team Built" tele on order right now, but I have played some Fender Custom Shop pieces that were..... well........ pieces.....

On the other hand, I can't remember ever playing a Suhr, Grosh or Anderson that wasn't a really good guitar. Some are better than others even with these guys, but their baseline is very high....

4. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

I own Suhrs and CS Fenders, and I'll echo the sentiment that Suhrs are generally made to a higher standard. In essence, Suhr, Anderson et al have 'fixed' some of the design limitations inherent to a 50 year old design. For example, a suhr will not fight you on string bends whereas a fender generally will. Better hardware and tighter tolerances also yield a guitar that feels and sounds different. Some would argue that nothing needed fixing though, and if that happens to be you, then a CS strat can be exactly what you're looking for. In general, CS are better in fit, finish, materials and weight than their production counterparts. (Always exceptions though!)

Gary

5. neastguy

thanks..i think I need to find a suhr and try it....

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

I definitely would not buy a CS Fender without playing it first...
    They make some fine guitars, but QC is not their strong point imo.

7. Coal man

Coal man Guest

With the "street" price much more reasonable than list price depending on the dealer, what you get with the Suhr is the best bang for buck going. You can talk with Mr. Suhr(John I'm sorry for calling you Mr.) about your build and is happy to spend time making sUHR it is what you want/need, but Leo is hard to get in touch with:rolleyes:
    But you should NEVER play a Suhr...it will ruin you forever! I have never picked up an instrument that just grabbing the neck to take it off the wall at Midwest Music in Cinci Oh changed my complete outlook as to what a guitar is supposed to BE! Then I played it, end of story, I will never be good enough for it, but it never complains how good I'm not:cool:

8. neastguy

I wish midwest was a bit closer, I'd like to check em out, its about 4 hours away for me......I gotta try one...

9. HHB

HHB Member

the CS Fenders are special, I just wonder why those can't be the production guitars, are the necks and bodies CNCed? I just think it's crazy to have to spend that on a CS strat to get a decent strat from Fender, after CS stuff USA Fender seems like a joke, I'm still pining for a closet clasic 64 I played