Custom Shop Fenders

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SteveStrat, Jun 20, 2006.

1. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

I'm thinking about ordering a Custom Shop Tele. Who's ordered guitars from them, what's the average price for options, how long has the wait been and how did the guitars turn out?

Thanks,

Steve

2. B Vance

B Vance Member

The average start price for a tele is $2,500 and then additional charge for anything you may want on it like a burst, sparkel, metallic paintjob, pickup upgrades, customized wiring etc. They also have relicing options as well. I think it was like $500 extra for a Closet Classic relic job. Last I heard they were running 10 months on delivery.

If I were you, I'd also check out Rice Custom Guitars, www.ricecustomguitars.com. They do amazing work and Chris and Rich are both on the Gear Page.

Also check out Bill Nash, at www.nashguitars.com.

Both make great custom teles at about a third the price of Fender Custom Shop, and every bit as playable and as quality. Both would be significantly less in the wait time as well.

3. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I know where there is a killer CS Tele hangin.....and in Seattle :JAM

http://www.asharpmusicco.com/index.html

4. 02Singlecut

I have ordered and have a CS 1960 Relic Strat and it is FANTASTIC !!!!!!

5. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Yeah it's a beaut too!! I was over there the other weekend. They had a used thin skin tele that I almost took home with me. ASharp is a nice little store.

Steve

6. corgiears

corgiears Member

I've ordered 2 Team Built guitars from Fender:

Highly customized '63 NOS tele -
    [​IMG]

and a '60 Relic Strat with 9.5 radius, jumbo frets, etc
    [​IMG]

Both are great guitars. Wait on the tele was 9 mos, and the strat I actually bought after placing an order for a different guitar.

7. 02Singlecut

They just got a consignment Tele in...... I don't know exactly what it is....but it's great sounding!!:AOK

8. 02Singlecut

Here's my Relic!!!:JAM

Thumbs: Click for larger versions
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] SN. R2808

model: ’60 relic strat color: 3 tone sunburst body wood: alder finish type: Relic laquer construction options: sort for lightweight wood neck wood: unfigured maple fretboard wood: dark rosewood neck shape: large C radius: 9.5" fretwire: 6100 neck finish: removed / relic’d lacquer hardware color: chrome nut: bone tuning keys: vintage nickel bridge: vintage sync trem strat pickup setup: s/s/s pickup switching: 5-way pickups: Fat '50's special instructions: extra relic’ing on neck and body, no forearm wear
    [​IMG] CLICK HERE to email Fat Sound for more information
    [​IMG]

9. corgiears

corgiears Member

Hey - I got both of mine at Fat Sound as well!

10. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

They do have some nice looking teles. Thanks for the info and the links.

Steve

11. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Nice looking stuff guys. Sweeeet! That '63 is what I'm talking about. The green with the binding is sharp! The maple is a must too.

I've promised to buy myself "My" tele after I finish up this one little thing this fall. After that is all done...It's time to go shopping!

I'd really like to think I could find one that's already made and not have to custom order one and then wait, but if I have to wait for what I want, then so be it.

Steve

12. corgiears

corgiears Member

you might want to give Stu a call at Fat Sound Guitars (www.fatsoundguitars) - he has a bunch of CS teles always on order and my have what you are looking for in the system already.

13. 02Singlecut

I didn't get mine from Stu, I traded a R8 Les Paul for it. The original owner bought it from Stu and I have talked with him a couple of times.:RoCkIn

14. iceboundfort

iceboundfort Member

do not believe for a second that either company rivals Fender on custom pieces. this person is either misinformed, or a sleeper marketer. rice and nash make decent guitars, but they don't compare to Fender on any level.

15. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

Wow. First post on TGP revives an 8+ year old zombie thread... well done!

However point made (I tend to agree FWIW) and hey, welcome to the Forum!!!

16. jmccann040878

jmccann040878 Member

Don't waste your money bro, you can build your own clone of a vintage guitar to original specs for way less than what Fender is asking.

I've owned 2 Custom shop Strats and I can honestly say I will never pay that much for one again. After I had one for about a month, I got curious and decided to strip the finish on the guitar to see if it was really a "thin skin" just like they advertise. I was really disappointed, the sealer coat on that 60's NOS was a poly finish thicker than a quarter, exactley like sealer coat on the Mexican strat that I stripped for a friend 1 year prior. To top it off the wood had knot holes in it. After I refinished that guitar, it sounded so much better, even the salesman that sold me the guitar agreed. Honestly, your just paying $2,500 for the Fender decal.

17. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

You stripped the finish off of a Custom Shop Fender just to curb your curiousity?

18. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Thicker than a quarter????????

why am I having serious trouble believing this??