Custom Shop Guitars: Are they Worth it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fuzzface71, May 30, 2008.

1. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I found a CS Strat of my dreams a '68 Relic Sunburst. That's similar to this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyways, is it really worth getting one? I just don't wanna feel "buyers remorse" in a few months, after fetching a 3K guitar. How are the re-sale value on CS guitars?
    You guys think it would be a good investment? Would this guitars be valuable someday?

:crazy

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

IME, yes. It's worth it. While there are surely some great production non-CS pieces around, every CS piece I've owned had a bit o' that extra mojo and has been a cut above. Some several cuts above. And as far as resale is concerned, they command more attention and maybe a slight benefit in pricing vs. a non-CS piece. I own and have owned a bunch of them. My guess is that they will hold their value, and even appreciate as time goes by. Certainly the case with some of the 'older' CS pieces already out there. All IMO/IME, etc.

3. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

I had one on order for 5 months in the vintage white and cancelled the order last week and bought an origianl sunburst maple neck 74 strat hardtail for the same amount of money for a wannabe. I am now going to buy 70 strats and forget the custom shop ones. I would rather have a real one than a copy that is made to look old.
    I have one of the custom shop 69 strats with a maple neck in vintage white. That guitar is the same as the custom shop 68's except for the neck. You might want to look into one of those because Fender has jacked up their price on the 2008 models. The 69 Strats are all over the place. Drumcity/guitars has one, Dave's guitars etc. Makenmusic is another dealer I do business with and they have them also.:banana

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

If you find the right one it's worth it. This was the right CS Tele for me. Surprisingly, its twin sister Strat wasn't too my liking so they are now separated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Yes...Although I don't have one yet I'm saving up for a Nocaster. I can say that my 52RI, which is a regular production guitar, is worth custom shop price in terms of quality and intrinsic value...I'm sure there are dogs just as there are dog vintage guitars but I think there is more consistant quality now than there ever was.

6. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I have never played a Nocaster that wasn't a great guitar just some that I prefered less than others.
    The great majority have been 'keeper' type examples.

7. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I have had several custom shop Strats and Teles and they were all pretty special, especially a 54 Tele from Daves.

With that said, I am completely happy with a Hot Rod 62 Strat (with Custom Shop 69 pickups). The build quality is wonderful and it absolutely sings.

8. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I love mine. I have had several CS guitars and have always been please with the build and sound quality. By the way I didn't know that they now had a 68'?? What is the difference from the 69's?? Very cool looking git by the way!!
    [​IMG]

9. creamedcorn

creamedcorn Member

10. treeofpain

treeofpain Member

I like a lot of the CS guitars I've played. I personally would not pay more for a relic, just because it is not my thing.

As an investment, they lose value if you buy new, but they tend to level out after the initial depreciation. Keep in mind that there are TONS of Fender CS guitars out there, so most are not particularly rare or in high demand. But they can be really good guitars.

11. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I actually did thought about getting a real seventies for that price, but I'm just worried about buying a vintage guitar over the net. I had a '77 Telecaster Deluxe like 4 years ago. It was heavy, didn't stay in tune, and I wasn't so keen on playing a 30+ year old guitar that might be valuable someday. Don't know, I'm still debating right now, but that CS that I played was just a beauty.

12. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I'd be worried it wouldn't be the best guitar I have ever played. I mean for that much cash it better be! I would get a used one. OR even better (IMHO) build a few partscasters. For the same cash you could make a replica from Musikraft or Warmoth parts. Have it setup by the best tech you can locate. With the extra money build an esquire.

13. strat6866

strat6866 Member

1. Resale value - like most other guitars they will lose approx 30-40 percent of their value as soon as you take them home if purchased new. So if you pay $2500 for a CS Strat you should expect to lose close to $1000 if you resell it. As compared to an Amer Std Strat that you pay $1000 for new and decide to resell it you will lose $300-400. So i would say there is more risk with a CS guitar purchase and probably less of a resale market due to the higher price.
    Try buying one used and you wont take the depreciation hit.

2. Worth it? - IMHO, not really. The build quality is very good, however, i have owned 90s strat pluses, EJ strats, Hot Rods, and American standards that were extremely well built for alot less money. I have sold off my CS strats because there was not enough of a difference to justify the additional cost of 2-3x.

14. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

In a word... Yes :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mischultz

mischultz Member

Interesting contrast at Sam Ash the other day between a CS Strat - by far the woodier, more acoustic of the two - and an ESP Vintage Plus - not as much unplugged personality but the most perfect feeling Strat I've ever held. I think if I wanted to do the CS thing, I'd get them to do a 50s style alder body, ape the ESP neck as much as possible and hope for the best.

Michael

16. gwr

gwr Member

I would have to agree with AaeCee,to me they are worth it they seem to be just a cut above,both my tele and strat are cs and I've had them quite a while and changed nothing but strings and they do have a bit of mojo going on and as AaeCee has noted the resale market is more friendly to Fender as opposed to private builders,try selling a Anderson as opposed to Fender and see which is the easiest to sell. But like anything else you have to try a few to find the right one for you.

17. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Absolutley love mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

if a person can afford the custom shop prices with no regrets then I say go for it. I think they are worth it but if money is a issue then just try and get one used and if you don't like it you could sell it and would really lose money.
    I don't mind paying the xtra for a custom shop guitar.

19. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yes. The necks feel incredible and I'd take one over a 70's strat. I prefer the 1/4 sawn neck, large frets, worn neck feel, nitro, radius etc..

They make some amazing stuff. But they really vary even much more than a regular production strat. You got to play the particular one.

Resale sucks these days for anything! But I've had good luck overall. Especially with a relic. Why? It'll always still look new. It's great for the buyer and seller. You can really play the hell out of it and not worry about depreciating it.

20. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

To some people they are worth it, but from my experience, I haven't found there to be enough of a difference to warrant the extra cash. For instance, I've owned several custom shop Gibsons and the standard production ones that I've picked from stores have always been better guitars. I may have just had really bad luck with the Gibson custom shop, but from now on I simply play what I can in a store and if there's a really good standard production piece, it's going to hold up to any custom shop piece IMHO. Play what sounds good - don't let the price tag fool you like it has done to me over the years.