Custom Shop Strat pickup swap -Pure Vintage ‘59’s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pete692, May 24, 2020.

1. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

They started opening music stores around here and I was driving by one and my car found its way to the parking lot.
    On a whim, and since I literally have nothing else to do I grabbed a set of Fender Vintage Pure ‘59 pickups.
    I have a CS NOS ‘68 strat and after a year I’ve come to the opinion that the CS 69’s in it are very cool, but really lack that full range “boingy” quality that I dig most about strats. Don’t get me wrong, the 69’s are great, but they really excel at the more foward, punchy hard rocking 70’s sound and I have to exaggerate the treble on my pedals and amps to wake up any kind of vintage tone out of the guitar.

Long story short, with these relatively cheap, impulsively bought, zero researched pickups in my CS Strat, I can get the strattiest, smooth to gritty, and most dynamic tones. It can still do 70’s rock, and the neck when overdriven has the most delightful warm and “hollow” tone when I dig in. I am on the fence about the new bridge vs. the old one, but I’m gonna work with it. If worse comes to worse I can always put the CS ‘69 bridge back in. Another difference is now I don’t have to have all the treble knobs wound up on all my pedals and amps. The whole guitar is just so much more lively now.
    If you would have told me even a month ago that I would be inside my precious Custom Shop Stratocaster with a soldering iron I would have laughed at you, but here we are, and I am honestly overjoyed with the results. It is truly “custom” now.

Vic Interceptor and TL;DR like this.
  2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

It's because 50s spec trump's all. :banana

pete692 likes this.
  3. blueslover

blueslover Supporting Member

I’m not a fan of the CS69s. I’ve had 3 sets and they are hyped. Sure the neck can be ok but to me they are thin sounding.

the CS60s are amazing and similar spec to the 59s you got. Fat thick and warm, I love them.

the ones in my custom shop I love too, they are based on the 64s and handwound. Enamel instead of formvar, also a fan of them.

for whatever reason I never got along with the cs69s, I know tastes vary but only thing I’d pick them over in the fender catalog would be Texas specials and the 57/62s