Custom Strat build

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chris77, Apr 23, 2008.

1. chris77

chris77 Member

I am parting together a strat for myself and after a lot of research I find that there could be a problem with the neck width versus the tremolo type. I have read that an American standard neck width 1.685” (42.8mm) at the nut when used with a vintage style fender trem may place the strings to close to the edge of the neck. Is this true? I am going to buy a wormoth neck and the size up from the American standard size is 1-3/4" (44.45mm) which seems really wide. But i also checked on the Highway 1 strat which uses a vintage style trem and its neck is (43mm). I definitely want the vintage stlye trem. I dont mind a wide neck at all I just dont want something rediculous. I need some experienced help please!!! All opinions welcome...really I mean that!!!!

shawn

2. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

the nut width doesn't matter, as long as the nut itself is cut properly.

3. murphj1

murphj1 Supporting Member

I think you may be refering to some mexican or squier strats that have a narrow string spacing. Your best bet is to get a width measurement of the neck pocket. If it measures about 2 3/16" standard american necks and bridges will work fine. But if your using a body with the narrow string spacing a standard vintage trem won't fit without some routing and other modifications.

4. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

You can use any nut width. The main thing is to what the spacing on the trem. 2 3/16 is good, 2 1/8 is better. Wilkinson makes a great narrow spaced vintage style trem that mounts up to the vintage 6 hole trem holes, steel block, push in arm. Callaham also has the new narrow spaced trem that fits the wide spaced mounting holes as well.

5. chris77

chris77 Member

thanks guys It all makes sense now I just misunderstood about the nut. just ordered my neck AAA birdseye with ziricote board 6105 frets with a fat neck profile finished in vintage gloss...I CANT WAIT!!! tweleve to fourteen weeks....grrrrrr