• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Custom Strat Mod (P90 Content)

AudioEcstasy

So I'm going to mod one of my Strats again. I'm going to put a P90 in both neck and bridge. I want to have one volume and one tone. What pots and tone cap should I go for?

I have a P90 in the bridge of my other Strat and love the 250k pot on it. Stoked for this project!

AudioEcstasy

@Sensates: I'm buying an HH pickguard, my Strat has the swimming pool route.

Interesting 500k is considered standard, since P90s are single coils. Tone should be 250k as well? I like the orange drops in my les paul but might consider another tone cap...

all advice is welcome!

dazco

Try this....install 500k volume and solder a little switch under the pickguard that you can flip by popping a few screws off and sticking a finger under it to flip it. Use it to connect a 470k resistor from ground to the input terminal off the pot where the pickup selector wire goes. With the resistor switch in you have about 250k for the pot. I can tell you which I prefer, but that will mean nothing to you because P90's work well with either, it's just different and up to your personal preference. I prefer 500k myself but i strongly suggest you decide for yourself.

Also note that most P90 that are not fender made are going to have a gibson string spread, so the poles may not line up with the strings perfectly. Not sure what u put in your other one or if you considered that but just something to think about. If you order them from a boutique like fralin be sure to mention it. I would assume he and others must do both sizes but i dunno.

J-E-M

If you're only using two pots on a strat, then I'd go with 300k; the less pots in the pickup circuit, the brighter the sound. My strat has overwound single coils (8 - 9k), and with just a volume and tone control (both 300k) it's still bright sounding; but brightness may be your thing.

AudioEcstasy

I used a GFS Mean 90 in my other with just a 250k pot and love the sound! I'll be installing 2 of those. I know my current setup has a treble bleed but I prob wont need that with the tone control addition.

Considering the single vol/tone I'd need a pot that can work with both so maybe I'll try 500k at first and use the tone to control high cut.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom