1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Tele Bridge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by steelers88, Dec 29, 2005.

1. steelers88

steelers88 Member

These are not fot sale!
    I am asking for information from you Tele players on whether these would be of worth to you guys. (Any guitar manufacturs also).
    Quickly, I could never really fall for any Tele type guitar because the stamped sheet metal bridge just never worked for me. Being a CAD/CAM programmer for a large cnc shop, about 3-4 years ago I built these for myself. They're made from a solid piece of T6 Aluminium, I designed and built them for my comfort, no sharp edges,every corner has radius, be as aggressive as you'd like!
    We had a slow down recently so I loaded a machine to run a few more to get some pics to see if there was any intrest. These bridges are IMHO vasting superior to a stamped bridge in every way.
    Well guys be honest here, would there be any interest in a custom bridge for your beloved Tele?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any questions, comments will be appreciated.
    Peace
    Gary

2. george4908

george4908 Member

Can you tell us how they sound in comparison to a standard Tele bridge?

Just from the pictures, they appear to be somewhat massive. Is the asymmetry due to a desire to add more heft to the bass side? Would look better if it were balanced, but if you have a good reason, it might make sense. Personally, I'd clip off a bit of the lip off the treble side (the old Danny Gatton trick).

Purists will never go for them, just because. But if they're truly unobtainable, we could start an internet rumor that will create a frenzied bidding war before they're even available. ;)

3. steelers88

steelers88 Member

Thanks for the imput, by design they're about a 1/4" larger than a stamped bridge. I always had trouble with stamped bridges, they were so uncomfortable when I played agresively. I designed these strickly for improved performence, they are an increable improvment in playability (at least how I play) I think the right color, or chrome plated would greatly improve the visual. The one mounted on my ASAT is just raw, sand blasted aluminium, no attempt made for bueaty.
    The sound was unchanged, I get great sustain off of it though.
    Peace
    Gary

4. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

so the expanded edge is for comfort? seems liek a good idea to me. i agree, tele bridges do hurt if you dig into em hard.

seems like a good idea.

5. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I have never been hurt by a traditional Tele bridge, and I believe the stamped metal tray is integral to the sound of the guitar. Thus, while your part is interesting in a "hmmm" kind of way, I would have no interest in using it on any of my guitars.

6. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Considering all the other after market products, this one does seem feasable.
    Maybe on a smaller scale. Ebay, TGP ,TDPRI, etc.
    Make a run of a dozen of each color, maybe each color being slightly different in specs.
    I personally would not need one, but I bet there are plenty who would!
    Looks a like a nice job on those bridges!

7. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

The symetry looks strange to me, perhaps there's a way to keep the sides balanced without sacrificing comfort?

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

One thing I like, since it is aluminum you can anodize them in different colors. Perhaps a Tele Purist wouldn't go for it, perhaps put it on a somewhat hybrid body and you have a nice modern player. And who knows Tele players will change their minds.
    I personally think the Asymmetrical looks cool/modern, I'd do a lip cutout. If you wanted more traditional appeal then it would have to be symmetric.

9. george4908

george4908 Member

Another idea, and one that's probably more marketable, is to skip the idea of integrating the Tele pickup and just build it as a universal hardtail bridge by cutting it off after the saddles. The modern look would probably work better with non-Teles anyway.

10. steelers88

steelers88 Member

That I think would require drilling your guitar, a deal breaker for some I would think

11. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I'd try one, although only on certain Teles. A Blackguard would be out; I'm not a purist by any stretch, but that'd be kind of like putting a Floyd Rose on a '59 LP. But even on a bound '62, it could be cool. Certainly for a more modern looking Tele.

I'd be more interested if it improved the sound; the ergonomics of the trad bridge don't faze me. "More sustain" is neither better nor worse, per se, as too much sustain might interfere with "the Tele sound."

My question would be: How is this an advantage -- ergonomically, sonically, aesthetically -- over a "new" style bridge (ie, an American Standard type, perhaps as made by Callaham) which, of course, has no lip plate, yet, if made properly, can be sonically interchangable with a classic bridge.

(Three cheers for run-on sentences! :eek: )

12. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

NIce work! Those are very cool.

But, as others have stated, traditonal tele players dig the cheap, Fender bridge and many state it's a big part of the twang and spank formula.

Callaham, Glendale, Vintique, Barden have heavier duty bridges. Some love em, some don't. I could certainly see blues/rock tele players, hombrewers and custom builders using your bridge. I use my tele for the blues thing, so I would be very interested in trying it.

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

+1.

14. mainsale

mainsale Member

You need a relief on the lower side for your fingers. Also, part of the tone of the early 50's Teles was that their bridge plates were very thin and the pickup could move and rettle and pick up some of the physical vibrations from the guitar. These look far too solid to allow for any of that.