Custom Tele--MJT, Partscaster, or Something Else...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mdbrogden, Jul 19, 2019.

1. mdbrogden

mdbrogden Member

I've been constructing the perfect tele in my head. Unfortunately, it doesn't yet exist in the real world (as far as I can tell), so I'll have to go the custom route. Here's what I'm looking for:

Double bound sherwood green body (likely alder)
    Humbucking neck pickup (jazzy tones)
    Standard single coil bridge pickup (rock tones)
    Slim neck (w/ rosewood fingerboard)
    Vintage appointments (tuners, etc.)

Something kinda like this (except the neck needs to be a humbucker):
    [​IMG]

I'm shooting for around 1200 or less. Any tips on getting this guitar? MJT makes nice double bound bodies for around 600, I think. However, I'd have to install my own electronics, and I'm no tech whiz. Are there any custom builders that don't charge a fortune? I'd love something like a Danocaster (sad they're going under, btw), but that's way outside of my budget.

Thanks for the advice.

2. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Supporting Member

1. MJT is great! ($535)
    2. Assembling a Tele isn’t that hard
    3. Dano is not “going under”. He’s retiring. Big difference.

derekd, Dave Orban and Da Geezer like this.
  3. mdbrogden

mdbrogden Member

Yeah, I really am leaning toward the MJT option. I suppose I could have someone with expertise install the electronics, too. Doubt it'd be that expensive.

4. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I've put together a few guitars from MJTele and been very happy. I've had my tech set the neck and do the final setup but I did all the electronics myself. Cost around $100 for the techs work. I have around $1200 in my strat like that but my teles cost me less.

mdbrogden, derekd and Dave Orban like this.
  5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I’ve built 5 Tele-style guitars using MJT bodies, necks from Musikraft or Warmoth, and a variety of pickups and components. The electronics are not particularly difficult to master, and there are ample YouTube videos that can take you through it step by step. Same for setups. I find the whole process to be very satisfying!

6. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

Very thrilled with my MJT tele. I bought a neck from Musikraft to spec and had it sent to MJT to be finished alongside the body - matching headstock and decal application. I got lazy on the electronics this time and didn't do them myself; I bought a pre-wired harness from Tone Man Guitar. If you get a pre-wired harness, then you (or your tech) just have to solder the ground and pickups in place, which is just a few joints and is very quick. I also outsourced the setup on this one (again, getting lazy) and even with the extra work I didn't do myself, my total cost was somewhere around $1200-1400 - and that's with some expensive options, like a solid rosewood neck and some pricey hardware (Glendale saddles, Gotoh SD91 MGT tuners, etc). I'm sure your project is achievable at the $1200 price point.

[​IMG]

mdbrogden likes this.
  7. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

You can get a complete MJT kit for around $800, then you just have to add pickups and a wiring harness, and you'll still be a couple hundred under $1200. I don't know how much a tech would charge to assemble, but putting together a Tele is not that hard even with basic skills

I sent mine to a tech for final setup which was about $75

mdbrogden and derekd like this.