Custom Telecaster Value. No name on headstock. Tom Anderson?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Orion13, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Orion13

Orion13 Member

Hi all,

I'm looking at trading my Lakland 55-01 fretless bass for this beauty of a custom telecaster, and I'm just wondering what you think the value of something like this could be? My main concern is trading a great Lakland with a high resale value for a no-name custom with an unknown resale value... I'm guessing that the neck has been replaced at some point since there is no logo of any kind. Maybe the sun on the neck plate could give a clue?

The seller tells me that it is from the Schecter Custom Shop during the Tom Anderson era...early '80s?

With your trained eyes, do you see any tell-tale signs?

Here are the photos: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1PJ5hzkFI4GahwZZ6laLKUthGhkIgXxWo

Thanks for the help!
    Orion
    The OM Sound
    www.theomsound.com

2. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Just looks like a parts guitar with a cheap import neck.

Its not an Anderson- they would not sell a guitar with a big knot in the wood.

3. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Good luck finding a Schecter historian who could give you a definitive ID. My take is that regardless of who made it, it is a pretty undistinguished Tele copy. If you like the way it looks and feels, then it's probably fine, but there is generally hardly any market at all for unidentified, non-mainstream appearing guitars. Most prefer a more conventional-looking instrument with a known maker/brand. To be honest, there are a zillion "custom" Teles out there, and unfortunately for most of them, the "custom" stuff is a detriment to everyone except the individual who did it. Unless you learn more about this that somehow has market value, I would not give up an expensive piece with solid market value for a mystery.

sixesandsevens and Orion13 like this.
  4. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Random parts tele.

That is an old DiMarzio neck plate.

Orion13 likes this.
  5. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

With no name, it's just a partscaster imo. Doesn't matter what it may have started as, and realistically it's not worth a whole lot.

Orion13 and GuitarsFromMars like this.
  6. Orion13

Orion13 Member

Thanks for the input everyone! I do love the way it feels and sounds, so perhaps it might be worth it to me, but I certainly won't expect to resell if I go for it (especially after what I've just learned from you all). If I had the choice of an equivalent Fender for a trade ,that would be ideal, but my bass is only worth about $1000 anyway so might be harder to find a trader. Looks like I need to do some thinking...

7. TorzJohnson

TorzJohnson Member

Then your bass is worth much, much more than that partscaster. Your Lakland is like the sun compared to a lit match, which is that fake tele.

Orion13 and Da Geezer like this.
  8. Orion13

Orion13 Member

Haha ok. That puts it into perspective. ;) Perhaps I'll look for a better trade.

Da Geezer likes this.
  9. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Definitely. That’s too nice a bass to squander on a random partscaster.

Orion13 and Da Geezer like this.
  10. cardinal

cardinal Member

The neck at least would have a Schecter or A stamp on it if it was from Schecter or Anderson, respectively. (Anderson made parts for a while after leaving Schecter).

I’m not an expert, but to me that does not look like either. The brass parts and darker wood finish kinda give that vibe, but those guys tended to use very clean pieces of wood and made immaculate looking stuff.

11. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Random Partscaster Tele.

PASS!!!!!!

12. Orion13

Orion13 Member

Thanks everyone! Tom Anderson himself just answered my email and said that the bridge and body look to be Van Nuys made, but he guesses that it was assembled at a store they sold parts to. Looks like I should keep looking for a tele with a higher value.

13. rstites

rstites Member

Agree. I have a Tom Anderson neck on one of my guitars. It has the big A stamped on the heel. Most of the time, it's worth pulling apart a parts-o-caster to examine what's stamped for the neck and body, if anything. Most manufacturers with any kind of name will have something stamped in there.

FYI, my neck is a super wide, flat neck with a hockey-stick headstock: it was sold in the 80's. I put it on an explorer body. It players fantastic.

Orion13 likes this.
  14. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Pretty sure the Sun thing identfies DiMarzio parts.

Edit: I see someone already caught that.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  15. loudboy

loudboy Member

Sell the Lakland for $1K, and give the guy $250 for that, if you're feeling generous.

Baxtercat likes this.
  16. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

Ya it def. has the look of one, but the neck plate seemed out of place to me as well. Which gets you wondering what else is.

17. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

There is no way you will get $1000 for a fretless 55-01. The deluxe models are not even that much brand new. You can get a new 55-01 on sale for $700 any day of the week. And that is the fretted model. Fretless sell for even less on the used market. Realistic used value for your bass is around $500. Still worth more than that guitar though.

Baxtercat and Orion13 like this.
  18. Orion13

Orion13 Member

Very true. I forgot to mention that it's quite a niche bass. But still branded and worth more than the tele it seems. I'm also talking in Canadian dollars so take a good 35% off of any price I mentioned. This model sold for $1700 CAD new, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately prices have gone down and you still need to find a buyer who can play fretless. :roll
    I'll have to see what else is out there!

19. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

@Orion13 : Have the photos disappeared?
    I can't get them to display, via that link, and I'd like to see them.

20. Orion13

Orion13 Member

Ah yes they have. Try this link: