Custom Warmoth Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by heajos, Feb 10, 2012.

1. heajos

heajos Member

I'm considering having Warmoth build my next guitar.
    I mainly play P&W at my church and I play a Gretsch Duo Jet right now.

What do you guys think are the best pickup choices for the music styles of Jesus Culture/Hillsong? We play our own originally written music but those two are mainly the styles we cover.

I need help, because i'm not very intelligent with pickups and I figure i'll start now..

:huh

2. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

Nocaster pickups are pretty good and pretty cheap. very clean neck and a hot bridge for when you need to rip.

Any pickup can cover any music really it just comes down to wether you like theyre flavor or not

Good luck

3. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

warmoth sells parts for you to build your own guitar.

TONS of good tele pups out there, and those two artists dont' have a real distinct gitar sound (more of a distinct delay pedal sound) -- probably need at least a budget range to give you some recs, but the nocaster pups are probably not a bad choice for anything.

GFS makes good cheap pups. I have amalfitano's and, while definitely not cheap, are the best sounding tele pups i've ever heard on anyone's guitar and can cover everything from twang to trey anastasio

4. cherrick

cherrick Member

5. B-Nads

B-Nads Supporting Member

I use Budz Guitars 542 & Tall pickups in my Canadian Breed T-Style - unbelievable balance and twang, but with some grit when you dig in. I also have a double tap and a Purebred from David - his pickups are amazing, and he is flat-out good people.

6. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

If you don't want to stray too far from your Duo Jet tone, why not build a Tele around some TV Jones pups. They're awesome in solid body guitars!

7. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

with a filtertron in the neck is a wonderfull thing esp matched with a well rounded tele bridge pickup like a voodoo 59 or TE50

8. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

I was just looking at the Warmoth catalog yesterday. I've been hungering to have a Seth Lover humbucker in the neck of my Tele. Am wondering if I could do this without turning my beloved axe into a Waring Blender.

9. p19978

p19978 Member

Best Tele I've ever heard is a Warmoth partscaster. It has Torres Pups, which, for some reason, folks on TGP seem to hate.

If you're not picky I'd check ebay for bargains.

10. Tele Custom Lover

Tele Custom Lover Member

If you haven't already committed to Warmoth, I'd suggest giving USA Custom a look as well. Tommy will ask a lot of questions about the tone and sound you're seeking to achieve, styles of music you play, and so forth and guide you through the process with choices to achieve that goal. They do only the bodies and necks but he'll hook you up with options to consider for bridges, pups, etc. They will also accomodate some special needs that others will not do. You may be well surprised at how incredible the end result is.

**Side note: I had a special request of something I wanted for my Tele... Warmoth was not willing to do it... But to their credit, and I am VERY GRATEFUL for that, they actually hooked me up with USA Custom Guitars and told me Tommy would do it right. They were on the money and I really respect them for the referral. A lot of people have had Warmoth guitars and been happy so I'm sure they're doing something right.

11. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

The best sounding Tele pickup combo for the money right now is an Original Vintage bridge pup and a neck pup from the new American Standards. You can get both on eBay for around $40 each. Vintage woody twang in the bridge, smooth and shimmering beauty in the neck.

If I didn't like this combo so much I'd be chasing down a set from David Plummer of Zhangbucker. Haven't heard his Tele stuff personally, but his bucker winds are so divine that I trust the man :)

12. gryphon001

gryphon001 Christ Follower

13. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

My favorite... And only Strats and teles are all parts casters with necks from Fender or Warmoth.

14. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

I like the sound of '52 Tele Reissues for Jesus Culture/Hillsong stuff.