1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

custom wiring job help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Edmundo, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Edmundo

Edmundo Supporting Member

I need other opinions on this, please.

I've got a Tele with standard 3-way, vol, & tone. The neck pup is a single lead & ground. The bridge pup is a Duncan w/4 leads & ground. I've got the Duncan hooked up to the push/pull tone pot for series/parallel switching. What I want to do is put in a "lead" switch to work like this: in one position, all the controls work normally; in the other position, the controls are bypassed and just the bridge pup goes directly to the output, in series mode. I have a SPST, DPDT, and a 3PDT available for this "lead" switch.

I've tried to figure it out on paper, but I can't seem to eliminate the neck pup signal bleeding backwards into the bridge pup.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

If you want to bypass everything including the volume and tone controls, you need at least a 4PDT. If you just want to bypass the switches, this is doable with the 3PDT.

Two of the circuits are used to put the bridge pu in series (I assume you know how to do it since you already have it). The other circuit is used as a selector for the "neck input" of the 3-way switch: in position A it takes the neck pu hot wire, in position B it takes the bridge pu hot wire, so the bridge is effectively connected to both "inputs" of the 3-way and hence active in any position, and the neck pu is out of the circuit.

As for the Lead switch "overriding" the s/p and putting the bridge in series regardless of the position of the s/p, this can be done by "nesting" the two switches. If you need a diagram let me know and I'll draft one for you.

3. Edmundo

Yeah, I pretty much came to the same conclusion last night after staring at it for hours. I've never even seen a 4PDT, but I think a 4PDT is the only way to do it. One bank for switching outputs, one bank for killing the neck pup, and two banks for the jumper leads to the series/parallel switch. I have this question posted on some other boards, so I'll see what happens.

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

5. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

6. Edmundo

There is a God. :dude

7. Edmundo

Thanks again to all. The tele is now smokin'. Having the ability to go from any standard tele control combination to full bridge humbucker/controls bypassed by the flick of one switch is spoiling me. Next on my plate is a 3x3 rotary switch for my Warmoth LPS sticker guitar. Yeehaw!! :D