• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Custombuckers height

jruano

So recently I got an R9 with these. Love them, but kept messing with heights not able to decide where to settle. Finally bridge is at 1mm both sides, neck is at 0.5mm high E, 1.5mm low E. Quite a bit higher than I usually go with PAFs... you guys finding the same?

Da Geezer

Silver Supporting Member
Yes.
I have a set Of CBs out of an R9 in (of all things) a Jazzmaster.
I think what you’re experiencing is the relative "softness" of the A3 magnets compared to the usual A2 or A5, and you may need to raise them a bit closer to get the "snap" and crispness/immediacy you may be used to.
Personally, A3 is my favorite magnet in PAF types....I LOVE the vocal quality and the slight "squish" when you did in to the strings.
I have converted several sets of Burstbucker to Custombucker specs with a magnet swap, with excellent results.

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
Mine are set at 2/32" (1.6mm). That's measured from the top of the poles to the bottom of the low & high E strings with the strings depressed at the last fret.

jruano

Seemed really low. My measurements are from top of the pole piece to bottom of the string, with the strings depressed at the last fret.

Trending Topics