Customer Care - Tom Anderson

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Mikecreates, Sep 27, 2013.

1. beorn

beorn Member

I, on the other hand, am happy with Suhr.

What I need is some sort of technical support to help me troubleshoot the crappy quality of this frozen pizza. I've tried powering it down and restarting it in safe mode and it's still crap. I'm thinking about selling it on eBay and spending the money on a non-frozen pizza.

2. MantraSky

MantraSky Supporting Member

Tom Anderson and company are "The Very Best" in the industry! They are down to earth and respectful of every owner, they build absolute art............

3. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

You might want to be a bit more specific. State the facts, otherwise this is a bit of an empty attack.

4. wcfields

wcfields Member

for $3,000 - $4,000....I would expect a bit of customer care...

5. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

this is really the best description of how I imagine Tom looking at things. It has certainly been my experience

6. McShred

and the award for worst post ever goes to this guy.

Look man, throwing a bunch of garbage out there and bashing a builder without any supporting facts makes you about as credible as, of forget it, you're not worth it.:jo

7. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Why don't you shoot me an email and let me know what happened?
    I don't understand this statement
    We pride ourselves in CS and with our new system in place that tracks all correspondence I want to see what happened here.

The only inquiry I see around he is something about the cavity routing which I see our CS did answer in one day. Did you have other questions? I PM'd you my email but my direct email is also attached to my account.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/16186413#post16186413
    If anyone has an unanswered question please contact me directly !

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  8. pluto

pluto Member

Love tags support as Tom is one of the best if not the best with customer support. However as to tak6768's post-john is also one of the best too. I've ordered 2 guitars from him and had 1 modded Marshall re-modded from him. Tom and John are both class acts IMO.

9. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Oh OK I understand now.
    Our CS just gave you a price for a replacement neck and this was a price that upset you I'm assuming? Yes we charge $750 to replace the neck. It is a considerable amount of work and believe it or not even at that price it is not something we make money on. I dont know if you wanted it smaller but shaving the neck would be much less.

Now what is really interesting is that you feel that I am somehow being unfair with this price. Have you asked Tom Anderson how much he charges to do the same thing? Guess what..... $750 ! Maybe you were not aware of this ?
    For this reason your statement doesn't make any sense to me.

It is way more work than you think, these are not kit guitars with 100% interchangeable necks. The neck would be custom built for your guitar, we dont just pull them off the shelf. We also loose a guitar build in the process.
    Installing and building the custom neck to perfectly fit your body accounts for more than 1/3 the work of making a complete guitar, body and electronics making up the other 2/3, which makes the 750 pretty reasonable to me.
    Especially since your lifetime warranty remains intact.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

John, don't listen to him.

Your guitars are awesome, your pricing is fair.

Go make more!

11. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

750 for a new neck is reasonable, when you consider that it is essentially a re-build of the guitar.
    Just getting a good neck with custom specs and a finish from a place like USACG would cost almost 400 dollars. Then if you add what it would cost for a luthier to fit the neck, do a PLEK fret level,crown, and dress, and then cut and install a new nut, and follow with a set-up... you could easily spend 600 to 700, and that would be for an aftermarket neck, not like a Suhr neck that is cut specifically for the existing guitar.

12. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

Wow...you really need a thick skin to be in this business.

I doubt anyone (older than 12) on this forum, has taken this latest gripe seriously. Keep up the good work John.

13. TAK6768

TAK6768 Silver Supporting Member

To All,

I have deleted my previous post and stand corrected. I apologize to anyone I offended. Especially, John Suhr. I never intended to imply that there is anything wrong or inadequate about JST guitars. Quite the contrary, I love my Suhr Classic S. I simply discovered a neck profile I liked allot better than the 60's C Profile I have and wanted to change it and keep my Suhr. I am not debating the work or cost involved. Unfortunately, I just can't afford to do it.

Also, I thank John for caring enough to respond so promptly.

Again, I apologize for being ignorant of the facts.

Paul

14. Pietro

very decent of you sir.

15. McShred

Wait, he gets a compliment ? Decent of him? For running off half cocked and making an idiot out of himself while trying to trash a respected builder ?

I don't know man, apologizing is the right thing to do, but when you act like an a-hole you should spend some time in the penalty box.

16. TAK6768

TAK6768 Silver Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I wanted to put a new neck on my Suhr Classic S...I was critical of the builders pricing policy for the work...I posted my feelings on the matter...I apologized for any unintentional offensive statements to John and members...The End.

FYI, McShred I do not expect any accolades for doing the next right thing.

17. Pietro

He apologized. I'm good with that.

18. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Silver Supporting Member

^I found your original post to be pretty inappropriate but glad you saw the err of your ways.

Both John and Tom offer top rate customer service. I can tell you this from experience with both companies. Both are very good at what they do.

19. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever "unintentionally" accused anyone of "predatory" practices before. Just sayin'.

20. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Great company and service and fantastic guitars