Customer Service for Custom Guitar purchases

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Tony, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Not sure quite which section this thread should be in so I'll try here... mods, feel free to move this if needed.

I'm working on a start-up custom guitar company with a friend and am looking to build a solid customer experience - specifically on the front-end of the build when we're in the requirements-gathering phase with the customer.

For context the guitars are in the $3,000ish price range and are built to the customer's specs.

What's the typical method of procuring specs from the customer? Send them a form to fill out? Talk on the phone? Grab a beer and talk it over?

Wondering if the "white-glove" approach (i.e., conversational, etc) makes sense here or if folks just want to fill out a form and be done with it.

Thoughts? What has been your experience (good and bad)?

Thanks all.

2. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I would say that conversation is a huge part of it. Being able to talk to, get to know, develop a connection with a guitar or pickup builder is so important to folks like me. Obviously I don't speak for everyone.

Give a read to the Lentz Customer Service post, and the NGD Comins one. The fact that so many folks chime in to say great things about their interaction with the builder says it all.

3. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Appreciate the perspective; thanks. The Lentz post was a good read. Nice to see an example of service done right.

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Moved to proper forum.