Cut my fingernail too short - separated from nail (ouch!) Any way to fix it fast?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by TimH, Feb 9, 2012.

1. TimH

TimH Member

so yeah...I cut my left hand finger nails the other day and went a bit too short...then as I played and bent with my ring finger it separated from the nail underneath just a wee bit. I really don't want to lose any more playing time than I have to...is there any magic fix for this? Liquid skin or something that will fix it? I don't know...just looking for a helpful tip.

2. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Lower the action a little?

3. Dipintoplayer

Dipintoplayer Member

Use the the liquid skin bowlers use when they get blisters .I think its called new skin..This is what i do when constant practice,studio time and gigs start causing the callouses on my finger tips to crack and split...

Don't just use the liquid but the patches as well it adds a layer of protection...

In a pinch i have used a single layer of gauze..I pull apart a gauze bandage and use just one ply of gauze and super glue to form a protective layer over the sensitive skin...

I have also gone as far as putting 8 gauge strings on and playing in E flat to keep playing...

4. spamsponge

spamsponge Member

Super glue has always worked for me. Liquid skin always peels off in a few minutes (again, for me).
    The gel version of super glue works better. Use too much and file it down with a rough, then fine emery board.

5. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson It's Time For Action Silver Supporting Member

this
    it hurts, i know
    but it'll pass
    be strong, grasshopper

6. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Member

Get your Mom to put the Super Glue on, it will hurt less.

7. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Dip your finger tip in rubbing alcohol first, and then wrap tighly with a band-aid. Try to get used to it with the band-aid on unless it really bothers you when you are playing. Heck, Mr. Les Paul had to change his playing style when he shattered his arm but he still played anyway with a cast on so I know you can do it. ;)

Anyway, you should be fine after good nights sleep or have your mom come over and let her kiss it to make it feel better, if you must. FWIW, I've done both. :red

8. moparposterchild

moparposterchild Member

9. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

I'm a stay at home player, but play a fair bit none the less. This is not a quick fix for you, but I use a product called Prevex to keep my fingers from cracking in the wintertime. It makes callouses tougher, and the skin less likely to separate under the nail ( ouch!). Apply before bedtime - its not greasy. Similar no name products at your favorite drug store should be available.... look for parrafin wax as one of the ingredients. Its not cheap, but the best moisterizer i've ever used.
    http://well.ca/brand/prevex.html

10. TimH

TimH Member

off to buy some superglue!

11. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

i've tried superglue several times, and it never seems to work for me. a few heavy bends and i'm back where i started. when i gigged, i'd just play through the pain. couple of times i even started bleeding on the strings.

12. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I did the same damn thing last week (Tuesday)- I cut my left hand nails too short, thought to myself "This is going to hurt later..." kind of forgot about it.

The next night I played a weekly country gig that pays too little $$ for our pedal steel player to play, so I basically do a million solos- bluesy stuff, Don Rich lines or similar, and a bunch of fake pedal steel stuff, all of which involve a ton of string bending. It was not till after the gig, that my fingers hurt SO MUCH, I could have cried...It was as if they hade bee burnt or the tips sliced with a knife...hurt for days

I soaked them in ice water, used moisturizer- basically did not touch a guitar for 2-3 days (I hate that!) and let my fingers heal and the nails grow- me stupid!:bonk

13. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

I would try Super Glue, but not if it's bleeding or still moist. If it's dry, go ahead.

I separated mine once during winter and when I went to turn a light on, the spark connected- guess where- right into the split.

14. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I clean hangnails or short cut nails up with peroxide real good then let super glue drive over them. Super glue not only seals it off so it heals up quick, it does something to the nerves to stop the pain.
    If it is infected I use a lot of peroxide on it, bleach it out with the stuff. That seems to dry it out a little making the super glue easier to work with.

15. toocommercial

toocommercial Member

If you don't have a gig or session, take a few days and let it heal. It's always good anyway to take a break every now and then. You won't lose your chops by easing off for two or three days. In fact, sometimes a small break can increase your fluidity when you return to the instrument, due to letting your muscle memory "heal" just like body builders do with their physical muscles. I find that my muscle memory aligns itself after a break from intense periods of playing.

This nail separation happens to my fingers all the time after a couple of nights gigging multiple sets. Yes, it's very painful and uncomfortable. If I have to play, I just avoid the bends and test myself by seeing how accurately I can play without the bends. It creates an exercise in versatility by necessity.

16. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

get a long bandaid and wrap it tightly, try to "stay off" it when you play.

17. ~sounddjinn~

~sounddjinn~ Member

I've never tried super glue.
    Booze at the gig will help with the pain and enable you to not think too much about your playing, which is a good thing. Just don't overdue it, lol.

"Maybe get a blister on your little finger, maybe get a blister on your thumb."

Take it home and dip it in cider!

18. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

You've got bigger stones than I do, I've tried to man up at times but that just kills.

19. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

yeah it sucked. actually hurt worse afterward, especially when i'd take my nightly vinegar bath.

20. lord preset

lord preset Member

If Super Glue can cure cancer it can fix your nail.