Cutthroat Audio Down Brownie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gallery, Dec 28, 2016.

1. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the club! Great amp and lots of fun ahead.

2. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

So I decided to run a subwoofer break in loop through the amp overnight for several nights in a row. It was a sweep from 20hz to 65hz, up and down, for 8 hours a night. I went easy on the volume. It was enough to get the cone vibrating pretty well but not enough to damage anything. After four nights the gold has loosened up quite a bit. It's still fairly bright but the strident upper midrange I was hearing has mellowed out a lot and it doesn't feel anywhere near as stiff. I think I'll keep doing it until it doesn't seem to change any further. Definitely getting much better.

3. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Good to hear you are making progress. I did not like my Gold for a long time - mainly the high end which I thought was thin and fizzy through my Fenders. I stuck with it though, playing loud at home. It really took over a year and then one day it sounded great and has continued to improve since then. One of my favorite speakers now. Best of luck with yours.

ebenezer likes this.
  4. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

Anyone have clips of the Down Brownie with a Gold?

5. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

For me, the Alnico Cream was what I wanted from the Gold right out the box

BFC and JK1965 like this.
  6. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

Well, I jumped in and got a DB! So far it sounds really good. I was contemplating changing out the speaker but the Weber Alnico it has in it sounds great. I haven’t played with the settings a lot as I just picked it up yesterday, so this morning when I played it I just used the Brown Channel: 6g3 NFB, and Tube rectified. For a rocking part I flipped on the “Jumper” and it sounded great. I have so much more to explore with this amp but I gotta say the Tremolo is like butter! It sounded soooo nice. I’m already a big fan, and haven’t been able to get a bad sound out of it yet.
    [​IMG]

strike3, JK1965, BFC and 3 others like this.
  7. Gallery

Congrats! The Weber is a great speaker. I’ve switched between the Weber and a Scumback several times depending on my mood and both sound great. The Alnico Cream is sort of a cross between them.

I also use a Suhr RL. Great tool with the DB.

8. ebenezer

Yeah I have to use the Suhr with the Ace at church to keep the volume down, but get to crank it for band practice!

9. Gallery

I'm surprised because the master volume on the DB is good enough that it should be able to get you any volume you need.

10. ebenezer

I totally agree. I’ve just been going “silent” for so long at church because I mostly play Non-Master Volume Amps. I’ll try it out tonight during practice and see how it works .

11. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I just pulled an alnico cream from another amp and popped it into the DB. I think I like the cream better. Not worlds different but definitely smoother in the areas I wanted.

Echoplexi and Gallery like this.
  12. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

That's what I've had in mine since I got it over 2 years ago. Haven't even considered changing it out. Killer sounding amp!!

Echoplexi and BFC like this.
  13. Gallery

Yeah the Cream (to my ears) blends what I like about a Greenback-ish type speaker with what I like about an Alnico Blue/Gold-ish type speaker. I love it with a lot of amps. The stock Weber is a great speaker and very vintage accurate for the DB, but I like how the Alnico cream can be both rawk and smooth at the same time.

I currently have a Scumback in mine going for the vintage Greenback type flavor I really dig, but I'll often plug into my 1x12 loaded with an Alnico Cream.

Honestly, I haven't found a speaker I don't like in the DB. I've even run it with a Vintage 30 and it sounded like a hard rock machine. My least favorite is probably a Gold, but I'm not a huge Gold fan. Still the DB sounds good with it. I'm really curious to try the new Alnico Ruby with it.

JK1965 likes this.
  14. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

Has anyone made any new clips or videos of this amp? I like all the existing ones, I’d just like to hear more.

15. Ron W

Ron W Cable Guy Gold Supporting Member

River City Guitars in Spokane, WA shot some guitar videos last week featuring the Down Brownie and Little Wing. I'll post some links when they're up...

16. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I’ve spent some time with the Little Wing. That is one mean little amp. The British input cranked with the extra gain stage pulled through a 2x12 cabinet is no joke. First “Champ” I’ve ever heard sound that aggressive.

JK1965, Gallery and silver surfer like this.
  17. ebenezer

I’ve had 3 practices and a Sunday morning with the DB so far and I’m really digging it! I’m surprised at how much I like the Brown channel. I’ve honestly been more of a Marshall guy for a long time. The brown channel just has this nice thick OD. I turn it up all the way and just use my guitar volume to adjust the amount of gain I want. I know I’m still in the honeymoon phase, but I’m really impressed. Also I’ve decided to stay with the stock speaker. I’m not gonna fix what ain’t broke ;)

silver surfer and JK1965 like this.
  18. ebenezer

That Little Wing looks really cool!

JK1965 likes this.
  19. Gallery

When I hit the lottery, put me down for a Francene and a Blue Sky both in head format. Can't wait to see what Ron does with a Brown Super (Blue Sky). I assume that is an Allman Brothers reference and based on that alone I'm excited considering the magic Ron has performed with the other amps.

JK1965 and Echoplexi like this.
  20. ebenezer

Here’s a waaaay better picture of the amp.[​IMG]