1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Cutting a cabinet opening for a 5E3 chassis

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jpervin, Mar 20, 2006.

1. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

What would be the best method to use in cutting an opening in the top/rear of this cabinet for a 5E3 tweed Deluxe chassis?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I always cut mine before gluing up the cabinet.Since you already have the cab glued up I see two options.Lay it out and cut inside the line with a GOOD jigsaw and then sand to the line or Make a template from and rout it out with a bearing guided cutter.The router would be much cleaner but it all depends on what tools you have.

3. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I forgot to mention that if you choose to template rout to the line you still would want to remove most of the waste with a jig saw.

4. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Thanks for the tips.

I bought the cabinet already assembled, as shown in the pics. It's slightly larger than a standard 5E3 cabinet. I like the template/jigsaw/router idea.

5. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

What tonezone said . 1/4" masonite/fiberboard (pegboard without the holes) is the stuff for templates . make it ± the same size overall as the top of the cab so if it's clamped to the top for the rout the clamps won't interfere with the router . The other method is doublesided carpet tape from Ace .

Buy a piece of pine to practice on first and have a ball . :AOK