Cutting a cabinet opening for a 5E3 chassis

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jpervin, Mar 20, 2006.

1. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

What would be the best method to use in cutting an opening in the top/rear of this cabinet for a 5E3 tweed Deluxe chassis?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I always cut mine before gluing up the cabinet.Since you already have the cab glued up I see two options.Lay it out and cut inside the line with a GOOD jigsaw and then sand to the line or Make a template from and rout it out with a bearing guided cutter.The router would be much cleaner but it all depends on what tools you have.

3. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I forgot to mention that if you choose to template rout to the line you still would want to remove most of the waste with a jig saw.

4. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Thanks for the tips.

I bought the cabinet already assembled, as shown in the pics. It's slightly larger than a standard 5E3 cabinet. I like the template/jigsaw/router idea.

5. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

What tonezone said . 1/4" masonite/fiberboard (pegboard without the holes) is the stuff for templates . make it ± the same size overall as the top of the cab so if it's clamped to the top for the rout the clamps won't interfere with the router . The other method is doublesided carpet tape from Ace .

Buy a piece of pine to practice on first and have a ball . :AOK