Cutting a Taylor 810

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by papanoel, Jun 2, 2008.

1. papanoel

papanoel Member

Hello! I recently got a great Taylor 810 used for pretty cheap, no electronics. I also came upon a mint condition Taylor brand stamped Fishman blender, the same as I have in my 614ce. I have a great luthier who I am going to ask to install, but it will of couse involve cutting the side of the guitar...am I nuts?

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

You are nuts. Sell the blender, just get a nice Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pickup and be done with it. Cutting a rosewood barndoor is a bit old no no, especially since there are so many non-invasive alternatives now like the great Aura preamps/pedals.

3. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

I agree with Jahn. I intentionally bought an incredible, high-end Larrivee without electronics. I bought a K&K Pure Western system and Raven preamp. The guitar was externally modified only by the addition of the end pin jack. I'm thrilled with it in every respect.

The only way I would consider on-board electronics was if I was using it like a worship leader does, always having to make fast adjustments. There's a reason those systems are popular in that regard. But otherwise, I'm done with on-board systems on high-end guitars.

Greg

4. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Instead, think of investing in a decent flat condenser mic. I've yet to hear an acoustic with a pickup that I like. In fact, the pickup thing ruins the experience for me.

5. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

+1, don't cut up the Taylor.

6. papanoel

papanoel Member

I actually am a worship leader...but after getting the 810 and hearing how nice it sounds, plus I have yet to get one person to agree that cutting is a good idea, what are some alternatives that give me the same controls? Plus, I do like the blended sound with the mic and pickup.

I have a 614ce and I've gotten quite used to the prefix blender...

7. mischultz

mischultz Member

Each of the major manufacturers have at least one system with soundhole mounted control of volume, and several with tone or blend control as well. LR Baggs also makes a belt- or strap-clip line of preamps, one of which (MixPro) is designed specifically for two-source pickups.

Personally, I'm partial to the B-Band pickups, which is what I've installed in my last two acoustics (both Taylors). The A2.2 system is my current favorite for two-source systems and would be worth considering along with comparable systems from Fishman and Baggs. I feel like the B-Band takes EQ a little better than the others (including K&K and DTAR), but it's a narrowly bunched field, and there really aren't any especially bad choices to be made.

Michael

8. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Another worship leader here. My 1988 Taylor 810 already had the Baggs Duet in it. I don't think I'd have the heart to cut into the side of mine otherwise. I'd get a system with a soundhole volume control.

9. pennylink

pennylink Member

Don't cut. Blenders look awful, especially in a nice guitar.

10. KazJY

KazJY Member

Yeah, I wouldn't cut either. blecchh.

11. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

My wife's 414 has a soundhole mounted Baggs I-Beam dual source system that's excellent. No changes other than the end jack to install either.

12. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

The Raven and other similar preamps will blend for you, and return very high quality sound in the process - I believe superior to any integrated on-board system. Raven is essentially two channels, albeit dedicated to acoustic pickup systems. It was, at the time, one of the only units that would properly power the K&K condenser mic.

I haven't played acoustic in church in some years (strictly electric lead now, which is where I started) - they recently bought a Taylor preamp for the acoustic player (who plays a Taylor 810 with Baggs Dual Source - sounds excellent), which I believe is about the same price as a Raven (~$500, but don't quote me). I haven't looked at it, but I would imagine this would also handle things like the Raven and I expect the quality to be just as good or better.

Going back in time for a moment - when Elderly installed my K&K (maybe seven years ago), they could not test the condenser mic and thought it was defective. This left them feeling rather sheepish - he had tried everything in the store and came up empty (they didn't have a Raven in stock, though they were a dealer at that time, if not now). I explained to him why and tested it when I got home - it worked perfectly, using the supplied Raven cable (a stereo/TRS cable). A regular mixer's phantom power won't run it. I have no idea why. Other systems may be like that as well.

One more thought, for better or for worse - as enamored as I was of having a dual-source setup, I quit using the internal mic after finding out it didn't really enhance the sound much (I'm not saying I tried everything - I was just going for a great acoustic tone that worked for me and got it with the under-bridgeplate unit) and that it picked up my voice and any other stray noises (which are more plentiful than you might think). Now brother Phil makes a living capturing these stray noises on his Olsens, but for me, they weren't always so joyful. And the under-bridgeplate K&K is the best sounding unit I ever heard. It's not a piezo, but I can't explain what it is anymore. A studio guitarist (also a WL) recommended it to me and it was love at first chord.

Greg

13. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I wouldn't cut it. I just put a fishman aura system in my Gibson. Minimal alteration the the system sounds incredible. I'd go for something like that instead.

14. lazymonday

lazymonday Member

I'd second K&K Pure Western Mini. I recently got a LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI to go with it, just in case I plug into a system and make sure I have enough gain on tap (aka my church). I play a Santa Cruz and it sounds great so far!

15. James

James Member

I have a 2001 Taylor 810 with a simple passive (I think) Fishman piezo (under the saddle) pick-up. It sounds great plugged in with a good DI. I'd echo the sentiments of others advising against cutting the guitar. You can get great results without cutting it.

16. dangerine49

dangerine49 Member

I recently added a pickup to my Guild GAD-50. I went with a soundhole LR Baggs M1A (did have to ream the end pin hole). It sounds great, BTW.

I would definitely NOT cut up a Taylor 810.