Cutting out pedals... so very, very hard to do

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NewarkWilder, Jul 27, 2008.

1. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

So I'm trying to put a pedalboard together and laid everything out in a 2-tier row and the board would have to be like 53" long. christ almighty. I'm trying to cut everything out that I can but its freaking impossible. do I NEED all this fuzz, all this modulation? no... but I do use it, and I don't want to give it up. its part of "my" sound. but I also don't want to be dragging around a freaking surf board. :jo

HOW do you folks keep your boards so simple. I'd love it if I could find exactly the right 8 pedals for my exact sound that I'd be happy with forever but I just don't see it happening. oy. what to do. and I still need a good vibe and a trem and an envelope filter and ive got 2 more reverb pedals already en route. and and and and and... sigh.

see what i'm talking about? wtf do I do?

[​IMG]

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Damn I've never owned that many pedals much less tried to get them on one board.

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Ya know,

I've been focusing on this as well. I have had to many pedals and it is frustrating.
    My next plan is as follows:
    Most of my mentors and icons that inspire me only used 4 pedals MAX.
    Thats what I am going to narrow it down to and just concentrate on playing.
    Take care friend,
    Mass

4. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

its ridiculous, i know. i want to simplify but every time i take something out I find myself thinking of 5 new things to put in. i'm hoping I'm over the worst of my GAS and can just concentrate on playing but I need to get the board done... I dunno. maybe I'll have a tone board and a modulation board. argh. i probably sound like im showing off or something but im actually genuinely embarrassed.

5. Cado

Cado Member

Can you replace the EH stuff with smaller pedals? That way you can get a few more on the board.

6. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Wow... there is no way I could play with that many pedals unless I used some sort of switching system. I like the sound of my dry amp too much to do that to my signal

7. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I would really like to... I've been holding off because I want to get the Howard Davis mods done to the DMM & DEM but I'm starting to think I could probably be just as happy with a mad professor deep blue delay and a ibanez or maxon flanger... i dunno. the DMM leslie mod is soooo sweet though.

8. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

I understand where you're coming from.

I took on a personal challenge to try to create a palette of versatile tones with 2 OD's, 1 Dist/Fuzz, a nice Leslie sim or vibe for your modulation, trem, Delay, Envelope filter, and Wah.

If you put the delay in the amp's FX Loop, you could make it 9 pedals. :D

9. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

my songwriting kind of runs the gamut and often calls for a lot of different kinds of sounds in one song... the pedal dancing has become quite the art... but nonetheless theres nothing in there that i don't actually use (except the MT-2 but I'm replacing it with a vodka mods marshall guv'nor, lol)

the single most ridiculous part of it is the red witch phaser > mad professor phaser but they are both so versatile that when you pair them you can get a truly amazing sound... i was THIS close to selling off the red witch but couldnt do it. sigh.

10. James

James Member

I tend to lean towards simplifying stuff myself and only use about 5 pedals on my main board (tremolo, mid-boost, wah, overdrive, clean boost). Here's a couple of ideas:

1) Put together a smaller "A Rig" and then a larger "B Rig" with all the toys.
    2) Put all the pedals in rack with a switching system. This is more costly, and time consuming but it can be very flexible. Most full-blown racks are heavier than a large pedalboard though. Just an idea if you want to get some or all of 'em off the floor.
    3) Build two separate, smaller pedalboards with a cable between 'em.
    4) Ditch all the pedals and take up the banjo! :roll:roll:roll

11. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

hahaha. I actually do find myself playing my acoustic a lot more in recent weeks. maybe its my subconscious telling me something.

all of the other ideas are good ones though. thinking seriously about the whole "a" board and "b" board thing. maybe if i force myself to simplify and play with the basics the need for the rest of it will subside. then i can sell it all and get a new amp, heh.

12. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

Newark,

It's time to invest in a switching system. You need to store all your pedals in a rack with shelves. Then route them to a midi switching system and your ready to go! With 24 pedals I would go the voodoo lab route and use a combination of the GCX switching system and Ground Control Pro as well as a few pedal switchers. By adding some pedal switchers you can have a small rig as well as your full blown pedal extravaganza.

http://voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm
    http://voodoolab.com/gcx.htm
    http://voodoolab.com/switcher.htm

Everything will be neatly organized and you can have an unlimited combination of tones. No small investment but you would be able to use everything without having to leave anything behind. As a side note you may need to hire a roadie:dude.

13. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

sheesh. what have i gotten myself into.

if only my talent matched the extravagance of my rig :messedup

14. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

what can I say. I play very experimental music. its basically shoegazey post-rock w/ minimal electronica... i'm not a classic blues guy, probably never will be. theres lots of long passages w/ textural layering as the focus, and then big crescendos that call for lots of different tones. it definitely needs to be tightened up... but like i said, i may not use everything all the time, but everything in there does serve a purpose. i'm just lucky my buddies come to my place to practice. lol.

15. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

How about building two small bookend boards of the absolute and a middle pedal board that serves the occasional muse?

16. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

i was just thinking about something kinda like that actually... I'd love to do the big GCX system and undoubtedly will once i can wrap my brain around it and afford it but I don't have the $$ to drop right now (spent it all on pedals, obviously! lol)... but maybe i can keep the bare essentials of the tone and basic modulation together and then throw in the super experimental board when its called for.. its not pictured but I have a MURF and a couple of pretty unique sound generator units that I run through the feedback loop in the spectacular aenima for some truly f'ed up sounds...

but maybe thats the kind of thing i can take out and keep seperate. i dunnno. i've gotta figure this out.

17. Seegs

Seegs Member

I used to run 5 ODs and 2 boosts and an eq and a compressor for a rhythm gig...it was ridiculous and all cause I couldn't make decisions...

commit to a pedaltrain Jr. for your base sounds and go modular with additional PT Jrs. for any specialty sounds needed...

doing this forced me to make those decisions and pretty soon what I thought I needed I didn't anymore and am down to one PT Jr....doing this was actually very freeing...

Chow,
    Seegs

18. radcliff

radcliff Member

Seegs is right, just get a pedaltrain and limit yourself to that board and maybe a satellite pedaltrain for additional stuff

do not bring all that to a gig, i can see things already that i'd pair down and sell

19. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

i can too but its so tough! like i was saying before, the 2 phasers...redundant, but a pretty unique and special sound. the shoe gazer and aenima, similar pedals, but the SG has the tone I truly want while the aenima has the feedback loop. got the cream puff for muff tones, the pink flesh for floyd style fuzz, the london for germanium goodness...maybe i could live without the sex drive but it makes my clean tones sound oh so nice... the kanji is a great classic sort of OD while I usually run the tim clean w/ the eq and boost in the loop, makes everything else sound super nice... seriously the only thing in the pic that i can really make a case against is the ps-3... I love the thing but don't use it as much as I really should to be able to justify having it on a board. I dunno. :puh

20. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I did the "A" board and "B" board thing. It was kind of like using the Nicotine patch. It weaned me off all the other pedals. Then I got another amp and was able to ditch the overdrive and distortion pedals altogether. I'm down to the amp switcher, and time-based FX, and EQ. A LOT easier to haul around.