CV Sequencer for Moogerfoogers....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by D Rock, Apr 28, 2015.

1. D Rock

D Rock Member

I've been looking around. It seems like the 8 step from EHX may be my best option. But I also saw the new Korg SQ1 that just came out but can't get a response from moog as if it will work with moogerfoogers.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/sq_1/

It would add a few more steps and work with my other synth gear. It says the CV range is adjustable also which is nice. Doesn't look as pedal board friendly though...

Anyone who has used one or the other have any thoughts?

2. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

You could also try posting over on the Moog forum. There are usually a good slew of helpful replies over there.

3. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

If it's CV it will work. Moogerfoogers can do 0-5v except for the Freqbox which does -5-5v. The issue will be does the Korg do the range you want.

4. D Rock

D Rock Member

Thanks guys! Just made an account on the moog forum and I'm leaning towards the 8 step. Seems to accomplish the task and I'm a bit of a EH fanboy anyway.

5. bigdeal

bigdeal Member

i have the ehx 8 step and use it with moogerfoogers. the 8 step is cool, easy and pretty cheap. the downside is 8 steps is kinda short, but you can still have a lot of fun with it. have not used the korg yet.

6. Astronome

Astronome Supporting Member

Doepfer Dark Time seems like a good one. I'm going to pick one up for a Moog Voyager eventually

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Korg will do 0-5v, so that'll work for MF pedals. If you want to expand the effect considerably, get the CP251 pedal, which allows you to scale and offset CV to use basically any CV v/octave system with MF stuff. The 8 step is very limited, although cool.

I'm waiting for the Arturia Beatstep Pro, which allows 4 separate sequences as well as simultaneous midi tracks, midi to CV conversion and a lot of other bells and whistles!

8. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

I think it depends on what he's trying to do. If he's looking for 4,8,16 individual values in a sequence, then the 8 Step, or Doepfer is what he's looking for. I look at the CP-251, as a sort of "1 step", but 1 really controllable step, that can be used to control multiple functions. Maybe I'm using it wrong though - can the 251 work as a sequencer?

9. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Member

Another endorsement for the 8 Step. I've used it with everything except the MF-108M with great results. If possible, its great to use it with a CP-251 so you can use the multi-out function to split the CV sequence to multiple places.

[​IMG]

10. augur

augur Member

arturia beatstep is a nice product too!

11. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

Nice rig!!!

12. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

How does that work? Are you plugging the 8-Step into the 251, and where?

13. supercreep

supercreep Member

14. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I second that! Definitely worth a look

15. tuj

tuj Member

Honestly? Get a small Eurorack boat and get the ER101 sequencer. It's absolutely the BOMB and the best sequencer in Eurorack. Four tracks, each with 2 CV outs, 100 steps, 100 patterns, 100 songs.

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

My comments above were meant to suggest getting a sequencer AND the CP251 because it allows you to considerably expand the effectiveness of the sequencer-it allows mults for more outputs, scaling and offsetting the CV (so if you've got something that wants -5-5v, you can do it), adds LFO, glide, sample and hold etc. Just a killer piece of gear.

And yes, you can buy a an ER101 ($600) and a Eurorack case and power supply ($400) but doesn't the Beatstep Pro at $249 with dual sequencers featuring 16X64 steps with midi AND CV output seem like a better place for someone just getting their feet wet to start? Of course, if simple and only 0-5v CV is your goal, then the 8 step is the PERFECT place to start.

17. D Rock

D Rock Member

Yes as much as modular temps me I really can't afford to drop 1000 bucks on something right now just to sequence my foogers. Maybe one day soon I can start down that path but not right now.

Beatstep pro would be really cool little device though.

18. technicoloraudio

technicoloraudio Supporting Member

Used elektron analog4. Then you get a whole synth too!

I know it's not what you were seeking, but I used it with great success after getting over the elektron learning hurdle.

Seriously though, the Arturia beatstep pro is super sweet. I know several folks who use them for expression control.