Cv tele action too high in upper frets

fewlio

So I decided to do some messing around and learn how to adjust a guitar. I took my neck through the full range of truss rod adjustment and my best tweaking got a decent action in the first 5-6 frets. But to eliMinate buzz I had to adjust the height of the saddles really high, making the higher Number frets action further down the neck really high. I could be wrong, bit I feel I messed with everything that tools can adjust, I'm thinking I need a higher nut so I can both lower the saddle height AND avoid buzz in the first 5-6 frets.

Just here soliciting advice re: anything I've overlooked, and where I should go to obtain another nut for my classic vibe tele And what tools I'll need (maybe several nuts) so I can try to improve my guitar further.

I'll try to post some pics soon.

bullfrogblues

Gold Supporting Member
How much relief did you put in the neck? And, maybe a shim in the neck pocket would solve most of the problem.

fewlio

When I fret the 1st and last frets, I can just slide a .73 Dunlop yellow pick under the string over the 5th fret. But it rubs the string, I figure a medium pick would go under cleanly.

What should I use for a shim? I'm game to try anything..

BigDipper15

Silver Supporting Member
When I fret the 1st and last frets, I can just slide a .73 Dunlop yellow pick under the string over the 5th fret. But it rubs the string, I figure a medium pick would go under cleanly. What should I use for a shim? I'm game to try anything..
Business card for shim.

fewlio

It improved it somewhat...does that shim affect sustain much? Also I think I want to try a higher nut...best sources anyone..?

bob-i

When I fret the 1st and last frets, I can just slide a .73 Dunlop yellow pick under the string over the 5th fret. But it rubs the string, I figure a medium pick would go under cleanly.

What should I use for a shim? I'm game to try anything..
Measure relief by pressing down at the first and 15th fret. Above the 15th the neck starts to level off and will not change with a truss rod tweak.

.73 is too much relief. I usually use a business card to judge, which is much thinner than that pick.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
Go through the setup, step by step:

Fret at the 3rd fret. Are the strings laying on the 1st fret or is there room? There needs to be at least a sliver of room, and more than a few slivers is too high...but too high is livable. Too low is open string buzz city and there's nothing you can do to fix it short of nut work.

Now fret at the 1st and the 15th and set the relief around the 8th fret to be almost straight. Again, just a little bit is a good starting point. I like my necks pretty straight but most people seem to like just a tiny bit of relief.

Now capo at the 1st fret and set the saddles so that the bottom of each string is about 1/16" above the 17th fret. Maybe a touch higher on the bass side, and a touch lower on the treble side.

This is a basic setup and will get you in the ballpark on nearly every electric out there. From here, you can fine tune it a bit to your liking. If you like to chunk on power chords and open chords, you might like just a touch more relief. If you're a light picker, maybe you want the saddle a little lower....or higher if you have a heavier touch.

The shim only affects the neck angle. The only reason you shim the neck is if the saddles end up too high or too low, or if the strings are too close to the body for comfortable picking and pickup height adjustment. As a guide, if you lay a straight edge across the frets to the bridge, the saddles will generally end up being about 1/8" above the bottom of the straight edge.

This is a good procedure to memorize. It decouples nut height, saddle adjustment and truss rod adjustment. You can chase your tail around in circles if you try to tweak everything at once. It actually doesn't even matter what order you do it in although you MUST set relief before setting the saddle heights. Other than that, you can do it in whatever order you wish.

You don't need a higher nut either - that will not impact the action anywhere other than the open string - think about it - as soon as you fret any note, the nut is out of the picture as regards action over the remainder of the neck.

Sounds like you have too much relief in the neck if you can get a thick pick between string and fret while you hold down the string at first and last frets. Ballpark it should be about the thickness of your top E or B string.

Trending Topics