CV Telecaster vs. Baja Telecaster? A huge step up?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by electronpirate, Jan 9, 2013.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

So I'm considering the Baja. I really like my CV Butterscotch Tele, but I keep looking at these Baja's thinking I wouldn't have that nagging issue I have with the CV. It's SO bright on the Bridge unless I crank down the tone knob.

Also get greater tonal capabilities?

I don't know. I have a little extra cash lying around, and it's this or an Axe II MFC.

Is the Baja a huge step up over the CV?

Tell me Bwana.

R

2. briwinters

briwinters Member

Probably a huge step up in neck girth at least. The Baja has a fairly chunky almost V. Haven't tried the CV Telecaster but don't they have fairly small C necks?

Pickups on Baja are great, wiring for 6 different pickup combination confuses some but I like. PLENTY of tonal choices if you are so inclined. Weight on Bajas are notoriously all over the place....mine is fairly hefty which for me rules it out as a primary gigging guitar. But have heard there are light ones to be found out there.

Bottom line: try before you buy. Best of luck.

3. ReidS

ReidS Member

I have the CV Vintage White Tele and i think the Alnico3 pickups in it sound better then the Alnico 5's in the Butterscotch Tele...try one and see what you think.

4. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Member

Thinking the same thing. I have a CVC Tele but has been considering a Baja or similar.

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

Uh...that's why they make that knob adjustable.

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Hey! Didn't know that! Thanks for the tip!

Point is, I played a Nash Tele a few years ago (in which I WISH I would have bought it on the spot), that had a full range of usefulness on almost every pup and tone knob setting. Yes, the difference between an $1800 guitar and a $325 guitar should be noticeable, but the question in this thread is whether the difference is notable in the 2 guitars I've indicated.

The girth on the neck is not an issue, as I've grown accustomed to varying neck sizes, and actually dig the larger ones these days a bit better. The Nash had the 'soft V', and I took to it immediately.

Yeah, I should try before I buy, but in the end, I'll probably have to internet the sucker and decide myself if I jump.

ReidS: If you're still around, what about the CV PUPs did you like more than the Baja?

Thanks

Ron

7. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

If you get a Baja, try finding a fairly light one as some can be heavy. My Baja is about 6-7 lbs.

8. McStrats

McStrats Member

I had a CV Tele for 2 years before giving it to my niece as a gift. Its a nice guitar for the money but its not in the same class as a Baja.....IMO.

9. tochiro

tochiro Member

I've had a CVC Tele for 2 years. I compared it to the Deluxe Am Tele, the Baja and prefered the CV Tele because the neck is small, it's light and it sounds just as good. It's also the cheapest...

10. ReidS

ReidS Member

It wasn't that i liked the pickups better in the CV then the Baja...i think the Alnico3 pickups in the CV white sound much better then the Alnico5's in the other CV Teles.
    I have the CV Thinline with the 5's and have played the CVC which also has the 5's and the 3's aren't near as bright those two.
    The CV Vintage White just sounds more warm to me on both pickups,i think it's better suited for blues and jazz and the 5's better for country where a brighter sound is better.
    I'm not sure why they didn't put the Alnico3's in the 50's CV Butterscotch since they have them in CV White,i think that would be a better match.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  11. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Dood, thanks a pile!

Guess I didn't know this. Thought they were the same pups in each. I had a white one, and sold it to a friend. Ended up picking up a Butterscotch thinking it would have the same specs, and it just didn't sound as great as the white one. File this under the 'I'm an idiot' folder.

Wonder if my friend would notice if I switched out the pups (I still have the white one!!!)

-Bad friend.

12. ReidS

ReidS Member

If you look on Ebay you may find some Alnico 3's that someone has when they changed pickups.
    I'm thinking of getting the brass saddles from my CV Thinline to soften the sound a bit and maybe 3's for it also:)

13. ajeffcote

ajeffcote Supporting Member

If the wood is good change the pickups, hardware or whatever it takes to make it the guitar you want. There's a thread( avery long one) about a pickup maker selling on Ebay with very reasonable prices. Point is, if you change guitars you might find yourself in the same spot farther on down the road. Teles and Strats are very easy to customize to your tastes.

14. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

+1

I have one of each and totally agree

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

The difference in the neck girths, between the Classic Vibe BSB and the CP Baja is really substantial.

Not everyone is going to prefer a neck quite that large, even if they find the CV neck kinda slim.

If you cannot find a CP Baja to sample, go to almost any Guitar Center location and look for the "Midboost FSR" MIM model. Comes in Blizzard Pearl or alder Sunburst and has a battery access on the back of the body; on close out right now. This neck is the same as or is very close to the Baja neck and you can decide if the neck is right. Heck, you could take a "Midboost FSR" home but you are probably gonna need to replace the yucky pickups.

16. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Yeah, I've said that I actually PREFER the 'soft V' of the neck.

But the pups have me questioning things. Are the 'twisted tele' and Broadcaster pups in the Baja closer to the Alnico 3's or the Alnico 5's in anyone's experience?

Good stuff guys, thanks.

R