• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

CV7007 (OC77) transistors.. Any good?

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Any germanium transistor can be great. Just depends on your application. With something as variable as transistors there is no blanket "yes, good" or "no, bad" answer. If you're building a fuzz pedal you may have a dozen pieces of a part number that sound great and another dozen of the same part that sound terrible.

aaronmcoleman

germanium transistors are crazy. the label on the outside doesn't tell you a lot. often the holy grail OC71, OC81D, NTK275 etc sound terrible...just because that's what the originals used doesn't mean they sound the best...in fact a lot of the originals sound aweful. There are good and bad original fuzzes.

In my experience, the best way to get a good fuzz (if you're building yourself) is to buy a good number of bulk less expensive ones such as the russian equivalents and swap them in and out of the circtuit. On ebay you an grab a lot of decent ones for $6 per 10...get 20 or so and I'll be you'll find a few great FF an RM sets.

as for your question, yes CV7007 can be outstanding. They aren't mega cheap because a lot of people use them. But AC125 and G308B can be had for fairly cheap and make great fuzzes if you sort through them for the right pairs.

aaronmcoleman

are you building your own? read up on the fuzzface. it's very transistor dependent, so just because a transistor falls into the traditional fuzzface range doesn't mean it'll sound good...that's why i recommend buying some inexpensive bulk.

also, don't get too caught up in the standard answers (q1 - 70hfe low leakage, q2 110 hfe low leakage...4.5V on q2 collector). I've made some really great ones from wildly different sets and typically prefer more than 5V on q2 collector.

Jasonmc89

Yer, thinking of building a few.. Was just wondering because there's a few batches of 100 available at the moment. Planning on making some rangemasters and fuzz faces.

I've been playing around with other transistors and just wondered if these would be worth a punt. Not much on the net about this tranny.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom