Cyber Deluxe - anyone? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by homerayvaughan, Jan 22, 2006.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

These don't get mentioned much around here - I know it's not a boutique/high end amp. I was wondering if anyone has one, what their opinions are of it, and if there's something better. I had a Yamaha DG80 for a while, but the OD tones were a little tinny/grainy. I was looking for a small, flexible practice rig that could be gigged with in a pinch, with no tubes to worry about. I tried the Cyber champ, and it seemed pretty cool, but I think the Deluxe would project a little more bass. Plus they have reverb/delay among other FX, so pedals would not be needed.

2. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I thought about that amp for a while. Played the Cyber Champ too. I ended up with a Deluxe 900 instead. I'm not saying it's better than the Cyber Deluxe, but you might try that one too, maybe save a couple bucks.

3. homerayvaughan

How much did you pay for it? I have seen used Cyber Deluxes going for $350 or so. Seems like they lose value pretty quickly, like a lot of modeling amps do.

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I paid something like $400 new. I don't know what they go for used, but it has to be less.

I liked the sound of the Deluxe 900 better than the Cyber series which is why I got that.

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I thought the Cyber sounded good at 'Guitar Center' volumes. I took it into a loud room, and it showed all the warts when cranked up.

I think this one in particular is pointed at the 'Lotta money, little ear' market. (No offense to those who have/like these.)

I was in the market for a modeler, and in between the Line6, CyberTwin, and Valvetronix, the Valvetronix won hands down. The Line6 and Cyber had MUCH more versatility, but the Vtronix had far superiour tone.

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

I agree with the previous posts. My main complaint was that in a gigging situation (with drums, etc) it just didn't cut through in the mix. I found it useful for a grab and go rehearsal tool, and I used it a couple of times in a church setting, and it was terrific. The fender sounds were the best I thought, and I used the AC30 model a lot as well.

Didn't keep it, but liked it for what it was. I do hear lots of buzz about the Vox modelers being significantly better in terms of tone, but have not had the opportunity to gig with one.

Buy a used one, and if you don't like it, you can move it sideways for little or no loss of $$$.

7. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

What? I used a Cyber Champ for jam nights at bars. The host bands were LOUD. I was told a few times to turn it down. Unmiked too. I got tons of tone compliments. Everyone that checked out my amp was freaked out that it was SS. I laughed.

8. epluribus

epluribus Member

Some IMHOs, good and bad--plz take these ideas with you and A/B a Cyber in a shop against some first-class tube amps and pedals. I really like mine, but YMMV.

I have a CyberTwin 1.2, and I get more good tones out of it than I can use, actually. So do most long-time CT users I know. The trick is to find a few sounds that really speak to you and focus on 'em--otherwise it can be a wild goose chase, and you may never really nail any one tone to be happy with it.

(Just so you know where I'm coming from, my go-home amp is still an old '69 Univox 1221--*big* sound-- a keepsake I bought back when it was only a couple of years old, so I grew up on tube sound. R&B, Classic Rock, Jimi, Metal, Alt., Grunge, Jazz, and a bit of C&W.)

The Big Key to the Cyber series is gain structure--factory trim, gain, patch volume, and EQ settings--they're apparently somebody's idea of demos, but IMHO the factory patches aren't for serious playing. Cybers can be very harsh even at rehearsal levels straight out of the box. But tweaked they're sweet.

The Other Key is beam blockers--stick a magazine in front of the speakers in the shop, or better yet, just don't point 'em straight at you. CTs need TLC in that dept., if you're gonna woodshed with 'em. Not such a big deal onstage. With a Champ, however, YMMV.

So on tweaking, my personal approach (to modelers in general) is to start with bare-bones amp patches, sans FX, and build a seperate patch library of good amps for each guitar, cuz some amps and guitars just don't play well together. (Get PatchWizard, the GUI. Too easy!) Only then do I put the FX back in, and as sparingly as possible at that.

As for the actual settings, I found that the Trim (Input Level) needs to be set so that the red LED is blinking a notch or two shy of 50/50--these things are exceedingly sensitive to gain structure. and getting a strong signal is huge.

Once you get that squared away, open the Patch Volume up to 7-10 so the "amp" breathes, and tame the overall volume with the Master. (Since the actual power section is solid state and the power tube sound is all nicely reproduced in the pre, the Master doesn't gut tone like many conventional MVs--it's more of an extremely high-quality custom power soak. However, pushing the speakers is always icing on the cake.)

After that, set your gain to get the bite where you want it, and you'll find these amps have truly massive amounts of feel, detail, pick dynamics, and response to the guitar volume knob--all while producing very big, full sound.

That said, a caveat: Just remember that if what you're after is righteously fat rig like a big Orange, or a drop-tune rig, (or a big vintage Univox) you may be asking a combo to become a dual 4x12 stack--everything has limits. Cybers'll do nicely with Marshalls, Mesas, mid-boost drive tones, et al, but squeaky clean and super-fat, or thundering distortion at the ultra-lows? It just doesn't have the cabs. Too big a stretch, IMHO.

Other limitations:

Switching patches takes a heartbeat or two of silence.

Cybers are ocassionally wierd about putting pedals in front of the amp. Comps and EQ do okay, but you really don't need pedals anyway. Not impossible by any means, but different.

They sound like Fenders much (but not all) of the time. Go after the "big" amps to find the limits in an A/B shootout, but also be prepared to be amazed at some of the Marshall and Mesa sounds. BTW, they work great DI'd, and some have an XLR Out in back.

They'll get harsh quick if you don't treat 'em right.

So-so resale market.

Oh yeah, one more goodie--they're full MIDI controllable, so a Behringer FCB1010 or similar stomp board is a great match. So's your PC.

So now that you know what I'd look for if it was me, you might A/B one with the best all-tube rig you can find on somebody's shelf, and tweak the Cyber till it gets as close as possible--then see how "there" these things can really be.

And once you get that down pat, you can go back to square one and try that with all the other modellers, just to be fair. If you have enough lifetimes, that is...

Have fun auditioning and let us know what you decide.

HTH
    --Ray

ps: You mignt check out the Modeller Shootout on thestompbox.net. Somebody here posted a link--nice roundup.

9. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I had a Cyber-Deluxe and gigged it. We rehearsed unmic'd and loud (much louder than stage volume); the CD had no problem keeping up. My only real complaint is that the amp has a weak low end, even compared to other 1x12 combos of similar size.

I don't think that the Cyber-Deluxe will be noticeably louder than the Cyber-Champ. They're both rated at 65W. The larger cab of the CD may help a bit with the bass.

10. homerayvaughan

Thanks you for the review of the CyTwin
    Unfortunately, there's none near where I am to A/B. I tried the Cyber Twin (the first one) Deluxe and Champ (not all as once, over a two year period)and at "in store" volume they sound good - maybe that's what should be my determining factor, as primarily it would be a practice amp. I just was not sure i wanted to go with another SS or Modeling amp, as i end up selling them and losing $ along the way.

I have a GT-8, would it be better to just get a Tech 21 Power Engine and use the GT-8?

11. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

i picked up a CD when Mars went under...it wasn't such a bad sounding little amp BUT, i spent a buttload of time getting into the deep levels of parameter programing, fine-tuning all the effects and such...had it sounding nice actually...then, out of the blue one day, it went all zeroes and every custom patch was gone...ebay it went!

12. epluribus

epluribus Member

Oooooh, ouch! I hear ya, I hate fouling up even one patch. All the more reason to always set up your MIDI gear on a PC, even if you don't use a GUI. At least you can save copies of all your patches.

What you said about tweak time--very true, these are a tweaker's dream, but a lot of work if all you want is something simple. Unfortunately, it seems all the modelling gear I've tried out needs substantial work on the factory patches.

Fortunately, I've discovered that they mostly all suffer from similar problems, so I have the "taming" process pretty well down by now. Had the Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro singing nicely on all the amp settings in about an hour.

And hey, HRVaughan, on A/B'ing a CT and the little brothers, I'd say that's pretty important, IMHO. They all have a distinct native sound, independent of the patch you're playing, and hearing them side-by-side could be very valuable. BTW, on the price thing, the beauty of the ho-hum resale is that there's scads of these things on EBay for about 50% of street price new. Most of 'em have been firmware'd and tube rattle'd already.

--Ray

13. epluribus

epluribus Member

Oooooh, ouch! I hear ya, I hate fouling up even one patch. All the more reason to always set up your MIDI gear on a PC, even if you don't use a GUI. At least you can save copies of all your patches.

What you said about tweak time--very true, these are a tweaker's dream, but a lot of work if all you want is something simple. Unfortunately, it seems all the modelling gear I've tried out needs substantial work on the factory patches.

Fortunately, I've discovered that they mostly all suffer from similar problems, so I have the "taming" process pretty well down by now. Had the Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro singing nicely on all the amp settings in about an hour.

And hey, HRVaughan, on A/B'ing a CT and the little brothers, I'd say that's pretty important, IMHO. They all have a distinct native sound, independent of the patch you're playing, and hearing them side-by-side could be very valuable. BTW, on the price thing, the beauty of the ho-hum resale is that there's scads of these things on EBay for about 50% of street price new. Most of 'em have been firmware'd and tube rattle'd already.

--Ray

14. 59model

59model Member

What`s your user name so I never buy from you, LOL!
    :p

15. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

my ebay user id is: screwthebuyer:D

16. Guitardave

Guitardave Member

I've used the Cybertwin very happily at numerous gigs. It is definitely spot on for getting very good, classic Twin, Deluxe, Bassman and a somewhat Marshally tone. Not 100% like the originals but inspiring to play thru. And you get that tone to tape as well for recording.

It won't hold a candle side by side with a real tube amp in the living room. The good (Electroplex, Two Rock, Groove Tubes, Fender) tube amps just sound more complex. At the gig, or all by itself it sounds fine.

My $.20

17. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I have a Deluxe 900. I played some Cyber stuff a little when we were looking for a cheap solid state amp. For sound per dollar, Vox AD series are probably better deals than Cybers (we also have an AD15VT). But the Deluxe 900 is not a bad amp and it is a lot easier to explain to a guy who doesn't do modeling amps than the Vox, and for what it does, the Deluxe 900 sounds decent.

I never thought much about Yamaha DG but I came across an example of a guy using the DG-100/212 who gets a lot of decent tones. Those are probably the best bang for the buck (used - they don't make them any more). But I think you would want to tweak them.