Cycling: Motorized Doping?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Fantom1, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/19/s...r-doping-the-bike-instead-of-the-cyclist.html

"
    The first confirmed case of mechanical doping surfaced this year when a tiny motor and battery were found inside a Belgian cyclist’s bike, but that involved cyclocross, a comparatively minor branch of the sport. The latest accusations emerged Sunday on Stade 2, a sports program on the French television network that is also the host broadcaster of the Tour de France. The report suggested that motor doping is also at the highest levels of the sport.

Suggestions that top riders are rigging their bikes
    have escalated in the past several years. As was the case in the early 1990s with more conventional doping, riders who are the targets of such accusations have dismissed them."

Sort of old news, but it looks like the main stream have picked up on it now. There have been rumors for a while now of people using motors (see examples below), most notably Fabian Cancellera performing super-human feats with seemingly no effort.

See odd hand motion at 2:32 followed by putting 300+ yards on arguably the other great cyclist of the event in only a few seconds. He has done this several times in other races which led to suspicions.

Bike wheel has a life of its own.

It seems that no matter what, cycling will never be clean.

2. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Good gosh! What's next?

3. frankg11

frankg11 Member

Money, Human Endurance Sports, Mechanical Devices, more money, what do you expect.

Whatever you have to do to win!

So what say you, should professional sports have no doping rules. Let them go at it with all drugs? Maybe a better option. I just don't know how to stop kids from hero worshiping doped athletes and taking PED's themselves.

4. s2y

s2y Member

There has always been a cat and mouse game with cycling and doping/cheating in general. This dates back to the early days of strategic broken glass on the road and a strategically placed beer truck where all but one rider stopped.

I think it's out there. I don't know how widespread it is. The logistics of inspecting every single bike is the main challenge as most riders will have their main bike and a backup bike. There are also the neutral service bikes. Regardless, I think whoever gets caught first will pay a hefty penalty, as will the team since a mechanic or two will likely be involved.