D/13 and Bruno

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Jul 6, 2006.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

This is a bad comparison request, but I was wondering if someone could compare the Cowtipper 45's cleans and the D/13 FTR37's cleans? I know they use different tubes (6L6 vs. 6v6) but have heard they both kind of go for a BF fender clean. Have people had any experience with the FTR37 to be harsh on the high end? Thanks.

2. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I've heard both but not at the same time. The CT is simply the best chimey, Fenderish clean I've ever heard. I Think it doesn't do quite as well when pushed into distortion. The /13 I heard was just really good at both. If I was in the studio and just needed ....."The best fender clean I've ever heard or felt"..the Bruno would be the first choice. If I needed one amp to cut an album, The 13 would be the choice...possible a Suhr, depending on the music.

FWIW

3. 57special

57special Member

There was actually a thread about this a couple of years ago. The consensus from those who had played both was that the /13 has very, very good cleans, especially for an amp that can rock. The Bruno's cleans are better. Needs a pedal for more than mild dirt. I've not had the two amps you've mentioned, but i've had their little brothers, the /13 10/20 and a CT22.
    I'd have to agree with the others. /13 is certainly a nice enough clean sound for most, but the Bruno's is another level up.
    As far as the treble on the /13, it is strong. It can be dialed out, but what i did was stick in an old Goodman speaker which took the edge off. The amount of bottom end on the /13 's is what threw me. They can be dialed out, but even at halfway up on the bass it seemed excessive.

4. fenderbender4

I play some blues (SRV, Hendrix) to rock (zz top, van halen, classic rock) and pop (Mayer, Goo Goo Dolls, Graham Colton, Oasis). I have a Makoplex coming in (hopefully soon). I also own a few BJF pedals (LGW, EGDM, and HBE). Would you guys opt for a straight clean machine ala Bruno or the D/13? The one thing that worries me about the D/13 is the treble. I probably have overly sensitive ears to treble for some reason and many "good" amps seem a little shrill to me, and I live in MN so there seems to be no way of trying one out first.

5. scottl

scottl Member

I have played both and the Bruno was the hands down clean winner IMO. The feel was more to my liking as well. Of course the D/13 rocked, but it was not an overdrive or feel that I cared for. I'd take the Cowtipper and a Zendrive please..... ;)

6. fenderbender4

One more question, does the FTR-37 take pedals well? Or is it fussy?

I'd thought I'd just edit my last post. I use to own a Suhr OD-100SE. Good amp, but was not a huge fan of the clean. It was good and tight, but to me the top seemed almost a little too trebly. I tried w/ single coils and humbuckers.

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've owned the '37 and have played through Cowtippers. The Cowtipper is way more refined sounding. The '37 can get WAY nastier. The Cowtipper feels firmer/stiffer and doesn't give quite as much as the reverb channel on the '37. The bigger Cowtipper has WAY more clean headroom. The 37's cleaner channel (the reverb channel) will give it up a lot sooner.

There's no point in comparing the '37s high gain channel with the Cowtipper as they're apples and oranges--WAY more gain on this channel of the '37.

Bruno's reverb is among the best I've heard. It's incredibly good and puts almost everything else to shame when it comes to spring reverb.

If you want a big fat, refined Fender clean, it doesn't get much better than the Cowtipper. If you want a two channel amp with a 'Fender clean' vibe and a LOT of gain (yet still very touch sensitive); the '37 is a great choice (but I agree-the Suhr OD100 is definitely worth checking out).

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I have other amps that have taken pedals much better than the '37...but it's still what I'd consider pretty pedal friendly.

9. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

Sounds like that would be a great amp and pedal combo for the Dumble thing...but, I thought that the Bruno amps were notorious for not being pedal-friendly.

10. mprvise

mprvise Member

WRONG! I have a CT22 that absolutely loves all my pedals. Eats them right up. :AOK Can't speak to other models like the UG30 though.

This thread has been an interesting read, as both the amps being discussed may very well be my next amp. :drool

11. fenderbender4

And as the slogan goes:

"FB4 asks the important questions" (Mostly annoying ones though ;) )

Anyway.....I'm wondering how much "Fender" clean headroom this FTR37 has? I know it won't be that of a CT45 (Wattage and transformer), but if I'm playing in a loud band w/ a loud drummer, and for about 300 people, will it cut it?

12. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I'd say the 37 is much more classic rock clean, and has some hair if you don't turn the guitar volume back. It ain't a Jazz amp.

There are some variables though, so it depends... Full Power or Half, Mid-Gain Push knob in/out. Not to mention like most amps, single coils stay clean much louder. HB's will need to turn the guitar volume back at most volumes. But it still is a beautifull clean.

The best cleans are full power with the knob in. Very Fendery and warm, but still cuts. Want some more juice, pull the pushed knob. Want some crunch, go to the click or combine them.

I don't know how anyone would complain this amp is too bright or trebly. Though I can see it being a little bassy with the wrong speaker/cab... but even then, never muddy. It keeps it's punch.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

Notorious? That's funny :) Have you played one?

The Cow 22, 45 and UG 30 take pedals well.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I haven't tried the /13 amps, but I've played Bruno CT 45s several times, hours of fun. Don't know about this "notorious" inability to take pedals. Of all the amps I try my Klon with, the CT is hands-down the best with that pedal.

To my ears, the CT 45 is not just a clean machine. At least with single coils, it has a more natural progression into OD (as the volume goes up) then all but the 6v6 BF amps I've tried. The cleans are refined. Denser, not quite as spacey as the BFSR or SFTR (maybe my favorite cleans of all Fenders). When the drive starts, it's not edgy. More like I've heard from Matchless. The CT is a great amp, period.

15. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

" I thought that the Bruno amps were notorious for not being pedal-friendly."

My UG30 was a little fussy about pedals . . . . .OD's that is. Some of the standards I felt sounds pretty crappy through it, though the Tim and Klon killed though the UG30. If you get a UG30 get a fan to run behind it . . . . . .mine was the hottest running amp I've ever owned.

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

Recent ones do not run that hot. I find my UG30 needs to have the treble, bass, and presence adjusted when I run pedals. But I find that with all amps.

17. fenderbender4

So the FTR-37 doesn't do a fender clean? Does it break up too soon on the reverb channel?

18. Distortion

Distortion Member

In my opinion you can ask tons of questions about the amps but until you can play them and actually
    experience the tones you will never be able to make a decision based on what is right for you.
    Another thing to factor in is what kind of cabinet you want or need and what speakers you will be using.
    All of these factors can strongly change the tone of an amp.

19. fenderbender4

Finally found a FTR37 in MN, I'll go check it out.

20. lv

lv Supporting Member

Instead of stating the obvious, why not comment on whichever of the amps he interested in you have played?