D-13 Cabinet Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by spence, Aug 23, 2005.

1. spence

spence Member

Does anyone here use 2 heads through the D-13 2x12 cab using one head per speaker? I'm curious as to how it might sound that way. I'm thinking about using my FTR with one speaker and my 10/20 through the other. My other option is to just get a 1x12 cab for the 10/20 and use both speaker cabs. My D-13 2x12 cab is currently unloaded, so I'm not sure how Fred wires them, up. I know how to wire it if I use the speakers seperately for each head, but not if I use the cab alone with the FTR. Also, is the 1x12 cab the same height and depth of the 2x12?

2. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I've tried it with my FTR 37 and my RSA 31 with my 2x12, and didn't notice anything negative, sound wise. Now that I think about it, I was just used the switchazel to go back and forth between amps and I'm thinking that might not have been the brightest idea.

Anyway, curious as to why you want to run the 10/20 and the 37 together as it seems you're getting identical tones with each amp? A simpler idea would be using the switchazel and a dirt box...

-Rich

3. spence

spence Member

Hi Rich,
    Thanks for your reply. The reason for both amps is that I can't seem to get the cleans I need from the 10/20, so I use it for leads (my preferred method over using a pedal) and I'll use the 37 for it's stellar clean channel. My plan is to wire the 2x12 cab to use each head with one of the speakers, or use the 37 with 2x12's and get a 1x12 for the 10/20. I'd like to eliminate the need for a second cab, but I'm not sure how the "2 heads with one cab" idea would pan out.

4. Distortion

Distortion Member

Why not just use the FTR 37 for both clean and lead tones..:confused:

It works for me...

5. spence

spence Member

Hi Distortion,
    In the small places I play, the FTR becomes way too loud when overdriven enough for my tastes. It's an ongoing dilemma for sure!

6. Distortion

Distortion Member

Have you tried playing through one speaker in the half power mode? This actually sounds quite good. And there is always the possibility of using an attenuator. The Weber seems to get some pretty good reviews.

7. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I would think it would work pretty cool running 2 heads into that cab. As long as the speakers can handle it. I run 1 speaker on occasion with my 37 and it sounds great.

Using the Switchazel to switch the 2 heads is fine too. You'll hear it if there is a ground loop bummer. In which case, you need to reverse the wires on one end of one of the speaker cables (not both) to change the polarity.

An attenuator would be a lot easier to lug around instead of another head though. You should be able to get everything you need out of your 37.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

My FTR 37 works great with a Dr. or Komet Airbrake set on one click. You may try that, but I understand having two amps on stage for the versatility. I have 3 on stage and love it, no compromises. You could use V30 or 65 Celestions to handle the amps and there would be a bit less volume using only one speaker per amp.
    The other good thing is in case one head goes down, you have a backup already running. Not that Fred's amps go down! :D

9. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I have used one cab with my 33 and my 37 in half power, one through each speaker. It works fine.
    It sounds lovely.

10. Neon

Neon Member

This sounds like a good idea. Are you using two of the same speaker in your cabinet? If the speakers are different, which ones do you like with which amp?

11. spence

spence Member

I've got a Greenback and a G12H laying around which might work for the 10/20, but I may need something different for the FTR. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone know if the 1x12 cab is the same height and depth of the 2x12? I wish Fred would put the dimensions of his gear on his website.

12. Distortion

Distortion Member

Just pick up the phone and give Fred a call.
    He can answer your questions and give you the best advise.

13. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Judging from this pic on Leon's site, they look same height and depth...

LeonC's wet rig

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Jemlite - good eyes! Yes, the 1x12 and (traditional style) 2x12 are the same height, depth and have the baffle at the same angle.

The newer horizontal 2x12 is a little larger and is all 90 dg angles. (Yes, Fred's got two new 2x12s, the one I just described (used with the RSA31, I believe, to mimic more closely the AC30 "thang") and a diagonal 2x12 similar to the Marshal 2061 cab.)

15. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I have 2 blues in my cab so the speakers are the same but the amps sure sound great through those speakers.