D-13 RSA23 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chuck Snider, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Member

I'm intrigued with this amp.. I read somewere that there is a regular size and a "small box" version.. anything functionaly different between the two besides size?.. How big is a small box 23?

Thanks for the info.....
    Chuck

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Chuck - the smallbox is the same size as the 10/20 or the 9/15. It is essentially the first (normal channel). It has two inputs. The second input engages the "crank" tube :D that is normally used in the click channel. That's what Fred's done so far, pretty much, but I think he *might* be going back and forth on this a bit... Call him.

3. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

I like the idea of a mid control on the hot channel for this amp.

S

4. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

Eagerly awaiting my "Smallbox" RSA 23.

Two channels. Two imputs. The 2nd input acces the 5879tube from Fred's Click channel amps. By picking up that tube, you get more of a click channel flavor, and can tweak it with the Normal channel's eq section.

Rumor has it, the amp can take KT88s, 6550s, EL34s, 6L6s, KT66s, and a few more.

Cool.....so drunk right now...

peace
    jeff

5. Leonc

If you can type 5879, you're not all that drunk. Which has me guessing that you're probably drunk most of the time you're here.

:p :D

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

7. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

lol...damn you, Leon, now everyone knows!!!!:D

peace
    -jeff

8. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Slightly OT but has anyone or can anyone compare/contrast the differences/similarities of the RSA23 and the SJT37?

Thx, Josef

9. studio8000

studio8000 Member

i'm wondering the same thing. i have an SJT, so i think i'm going to head over to Fred's shop sometime in the near future to try out the RSA. i think the SJT has a great marshally crunch on the click channel, and beautifully rich cleans on the verb side that reminds me of a fuller sounding fender. Fred says the RSA is much more of the british thing all around. cant wait to try it.

10. Leonc

The SJT37 is louder. Not vastly...but definitely. But they're very very similar sounding. The RSA may have even a wee bit more Marshall-esque character to its OD...but not much.

These two are so close, sound-wise, I think it's sort of like the difference between KT88s and EL34s (even though there's more to it--the circuits are in fact not the same). It's like trying to descirbe the difference between choclate ice cream and dark choclate ice cream. You just gotta taste them for yourself.

11. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Thanks, Leon. You always have the D/13 lowdown. Since I dig reverb once in a while the SJT would probably be my choice...especially if the click channels are that similar.

Is the clean channel on the RSA more Vox-y than Marshall?

Again, Thanx.

12. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Is it possible to set up an A/B box to switch between the two channels on the smallbox RSA?

13. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

I have the ftr 37 and love it! As much as I love it for what it does......my friend recently got the rsa 23 and it has been haunting me since!! It is as good at what it does as the 37 is at its thing.....I know sooner or later I am going to have to have it!!

14. Leonc

MG - I'd say the clean sound you get out of the 23 are somewhere between Marshall and Vox. Not clearly one over the other.

Tyler - On the small box, you can't switch between inputs.

Keith - I agree, the RSA23 is a stone killer. I'll also have one one day.

15. iainmc

iainmc Silver Supporting Member

i would say the rsa23 is far far more marshally than vox-y. the ert is pretty vox-y.

the amp it reminds me of that i have owned is a mid 70s 50w jmp combo. ...but much much better...

i've had it for 8 months now (i got the first production one) & it still kills me.

/i