D*A*M 1966 alternative?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 56_Special, May 8, 2008.

1. 56_Special

56_Special Member

With the weak dollar, the D*A*M 1966 has become prohibatively expensive. I think it's over $400 USD, and that's without shipping. Is there anything else that is similar in tone and quality? I know about the Baja Bone Bender and the Lady Stardust but I've never tried them. Anyone compare them to the 1966?

2. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Yeah, it's a bummer about the exchange rate, but I don't think there's anything out there to equal the '66 or the MKII.

3. kp8

kp8 Member

I want both these pedals

:(

maybe some day.

4. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

I am far from being a tightwad, but even with an extra $600 in my pocket I could not bring myself to drop $400+ on the '66. I ended up getting an Analogman Peppermint Fuzz instead. I do not know how they compare to each other but I am very happy with the AMPF.

5. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have both the 1966 and a Fulltone Soul Bender. I'd say the Soul Bender is comparable at about half the price. You can dial in that raspy 60's style fuzz easily. It's out of production now unfortunately. Look for clones of the Tonebenders.

6. gravy

gravy Member

i started my quest scoring the bone bender from a TGP`er for $60. been loving the rawness of it----nice pedal for the $

7. jgyn

jgyn Member

+1.

8. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Sounds like you made a good choice. The AMPF is a great pedal. Speaking of the harsh exchange rate, David Main (D*A*M) is making a run of Burns Buzzaround replicas that will wind up running those of us in the States around $500.

9. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    paul knows his fuzzes for sure!

i'm not a fuzz guy, but keep wanting to try fuzzes and paul's my go-to guys for recommendations. like some of the above posters, i also don't like to, and can't afford, to spend a ton of money on one pedal so i'm always looking for more affordable suggestions/clones....

i was just asking paul the same thing as the original poster not two days ago... i'll be following this thread...

:munch

10. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

You can always buy an original... I paid $350 for a 67 Vox tone bender a year or two ago.

11. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I have the LADY STARDUST...It's amazing! No words to tell how I like it!