• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

D*A*M Meathead v Big Muff (or clone thereof)?

thrashmetl

So the D*A*M Meathead is supposed to be pretty amazing and everyone seems to compare it to the Big Muff, though I believe it's actually loosely based on the FuzzFace circuit (correct me if I'm wrong). They seem to cover the same ground so I feel this is a pretty fair comparison. What are your thoughts on this comparison?

Which do you like best?

I've heard people say that the Meathead walks all over any Muff, any truth to this Muff lovers?

What Muff-wise have you compared to a Meathead? Who won? Why?

Last edited:

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
Not the same at all really. They are both fuzz pedals and both in the heavier vein of fuzz...but the meathead is more of a wooly type fuzz IMO where the big muff is more razor like. Big muff types can be much better with palm muted stuff and faster picked things. The meat head has its own thing going on.

My Black and Gold Meathead has taken out a Hoof, Musket and 2 other meatheads. That is for what I like in a fuzz though.

The black and gold has less of a mid hump than the newer meatheads.

drunkenguitar

hack
Silver Supporting Member
I've had the Black & Gold version of the Meathead. That thing was extremely bass heavy, but nice and clear sounding. Perfect for doomtastic riffage. :thu:
I sold that off and bought a slightly older hammerite version that was made back in 2006. That version is more of a standard fuzz face type circuit.

As for the comparisons between muffs and D*A*M Meatheads.
They're totally different from one another. I've got a Skreddy Mayo and a Musket fuzz.

As much as I loved the B&G Meathead, I'd say that muffs have more usable sounds. But, still..I really do want another B&G Meat.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
I've had the Black & Gold version of the Meathead. That thing was extremely bass heavy, but nice and clear sounding. Perfect for doomtastic riffage. :thu:
I sold that off and bought a slightly older hammerite version that was made back in 2006. That version is more of a standard fuzz face type circuit.

As for the comparisons between muffs and D*A*M Meatheads.
They're totally different from one another. I've got a Skreddy Mayo and a Musket fuzz.

As much as I loved the B&G Meathead, I'd say that muffs have more usable sounds. But, still..I really do want another B&G Meat.
I agree that the muff is more versatile. More sounds are available. Especially with the musket.

Neither cleans up well with the volume knob, but the B&G gets some really cool fizziness on the end of notes when you turn your guitar volume down.

drunkenguitar

hack
Silver Supporting Member
I agree that the muff is more versatile. More sounds are available. Especially with the musket.

Neither cleans up well with the volume knob, but the B&G gets some really cool fizziness on the end of notes when you turn your guitar volume down.
I can't stop playing through my Musket. What a monster of a pedal. You can go from soft vintage type tones to all out high gain madness! :AOK

thrashmetl

Can you get vintage type tones with a Meathead or is it pretty much for stoner/doom type stuff? Does it do anything resembling low gain?

P.S.: I knew you'd show up J&M?

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
Can you get vintage type tones with a Meathead or is it pretty much for stoner/doom type stuff? Does it do anything resembling low gain?

P.S.: I knew you'd show up J&M?
An alarm goes off in my house every time you post.:Devil

The meathead isn't super high gain like say a big muff can get. It isn't low gain either. It does excel at doom type stuff, but I think you can do other stuff with it.

You should browse the DAM forum. Lots of good info there on everything fuzz.

thrashmetl

Musket Question:
Is the Musket articulate? My issue with the Hoof V.2 was that it wasn't very articulate when I put it up against my BYOC Ram's Head. I know the Musket is also based on the Green Russian like the Hoof so this makes me slightly apprehensive.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
Musket Question:
Is the Musket articulate? My issue with the Hoof V.2 was that it wasn't very articulate when I put it up against my BYOC Ram's Head. I know the Musket is also based on the Green Russian like the Hoof so this makes me slightly apprehensive.
The musket is very articulate. I have not tried the Hoof V.2. Only the older style. The hoof is half silicon and half germanium I believe. The Musket and hoof are very different sounding IMO.

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
My byoc triangle muff can get kinda in the same territory as my meathead, but lacks the c=focus and clarity and sharpness of fuzz.

The meathead is based on a fuzzface, but my sunfaces dont sound anything like it either.

MelMann

The DAM Ram's Head was their Big Muff pedal. Mine sounds amazingly awesome. I also have a Meathead, and still haven't made up my mind about it. It is not a very balanced tone, very bassy. Also a little less gain than I was expecting. I like it best with the tone knob all the way to the left (which seems to lower the bassy mids a bit).

MelMann

I have a current model Meathead, silver & black...have tried many guitars through it,strats, lps, etc.

Trending Topics