D. Allen Pickups anyone?

SteveGaines

Play a 62 Reissue Strat through a Marshall JCM 800 Head through a Avatar 2x12 open back cabinet loaded with Scumbacks. Use a Bob Sweet Boost and just a tad of delay. Play Skynyrd, Hank Jr, Waylon, Etc. Try to emulate a lot of the late Eddy Shaver's playing... Have a set of Rio Grande Tall Boys...Too Dark...Can't make up my mind to try some Peter Florance or The D. Allen's...Have heard nothing but good things about D. Allen....Suggestions anyone?

Thanks. :munch

peskypesky

I have several sets of D Allen pickups in my Strats. I really like all of them. But my favorite so far are the Strat Cats.

groovington

I have a set of the Voodoo '69 pickups in my Clapton strat and really dig them. Good clarity with a warm tone, and not too bright in the bridge position. Good quack in the 2 and 4 positions. And they sound great with clean tone and some good tube overdrive.

I also have set of the Flat Tops but have yet to put them in one of my other strats. Maybe I should get into that this weekend.

peskypesky

I have a set of the Voodoo '69 pickups in my Clapton strat and really dig them. Good clarity with a warm tone, and not too bright in the bridge position. Good quack in the 2 and 4 positions. And they sound great with clean tone and some good tube overdrive.

I also have set of the Flat Tops but have yet to put them in one of my other strats. Maybe I should get into that this weekend.
I have a set of the Voodoo 69's too. Super nice.

mikewashmo

Had a mim robert cray strat with austin blues set that were really nice. Maybe not the set for what you are looking for, but he makes some great pickups and I'm sure he could set you up with what you're looking for.

BoogieManSC

Silver Supporting Member
I have a set of the Voodoo 69's too. Super nice.
Same here. They're f'n awesome. Look at the Fralin Blues Specials too...I have them in another strat and they're seriously good too (I have the baseplate on the bridge pickup as well as the blender knob):

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyleBS.asp

I'd say the Allen 69's have a slight edge when clean, the Fralins slight edge when dirty.

I also have SD Antiquity TX Hots in the neck and middle position in an HSS strat I have. They're also very much worth looking into. Even a tone-perfectionist like Eric Johnson uses them in one of his workhorses (http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...ils-his-live-set-up-Seymour-Duncan-Antiquitys!). Overdriven, they're every bit as good as the other 2. In fact, probably my favorite of the 3.

Last edited:

Mojo Shinn

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 62 reissue as well.... I was torn between several of the DAllen pickup sets.... I had the voodoo 69s on my radar, as well as the 60's rock n blues set... I wrote David and he offered great advice based on my playing style and needs... suggested that I consider the hot 54/59s as well... I guess it's not a BAD thing to have too many choices!! I ended up playing a vintage 64 strat at a shop, and it had this lovely mellow character and a kind of scooped sound... so I decided to get the rock n blues set... I love them! If I get another strat, I'd probably go for a set that would give me that spanky timbre we sometimes associate with strats and get the hot 54/59s.... I suggest you contact David...he will be able to help you..great customer service there!

sixstring531

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Austin blues set my 01 standard. I thought it didn't get any better than the Fralin vintage hots, but the Dallens are right there with a more open/true strat vibe. Love em! Not doggin fralins (because if the guitar had fralins when I got it, I wouldn't have gone on a pickup search), but showin some love for David Allen.

sedawkgrep

Gold Supporting Member
I have the voodoo 69s as well. Terrific clarify and dynamics. Great quack. Love them.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
Good to hear the praise of the 69s. Mine should be coming in the mail today.

I've had his Dover set which is supposed to be an eric johnson strat set. Those were great. If these are great I'm going to only use d allen strat pickups on my strats.

His bridge pickups are much better than any strat bridge pup I've tried. They seem to be much more balanced

BognerGF1

I have a set of D. Allen Tru62's in my Knaggs Severn and they are awesome pickups. You might want to check them out.

BJW

I've got a set of BigCats, sound fab. I am also a huge Eddy Shaver fan, was thinking of trying a different set of D. Allens to cop more of an Eddy vibe, not that the Big Cats are bad, maybe a little smooth? to me. I was a tele guy for ever but got the strat itch about a year ago, settled on D. Allens & haven't regretted it.

Lewguitar

I'd love to try some D. Allens. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

But some pickups that I have tried and know I love are the Klein 62's. I think they're spectacular and very similar in tone and feel to the original Fender pickups in the '63 Strat I owned from 1974 until just last year.

And Duncan Antiquity Surfers. Those are also spectacular and slightly stronger than the Kleins. I have two Strats with Kleins and two Strats with Duncan Antiquity Surfers.

Another plus is that there's no waiting.

You can get the Kleins or the Antiquitys right away.

I like alnico 5 Strat pickups that measure about 6K or a little more or less, and I now prefer that all three be pretty much identical with the same polarity. No more RW/RP middle pickups. Sounds better and more vintage that way.

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
Another fan of David Allen pups here.

I have a set of CS '69 and they are very near to being my favorite strat pups.
I also have a set of Austin Blues, which are very nice in their own way.

And his Customer Service is definitely world-class!

timberic

I have a pair of d allen cool cat P90s in my SG. They're very close to the originals .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapaul76

I have the Voodoo Blues HSS set in my American Standard Strat. They have amazing tone! The one thing that really surprised me is how quiet they were in relation to the stock pickups. They are not stacked at all...something in the way David winds. The bridge humbucker can handle anything from clean to hard rock and is very articulate. Awesome customer service too!

Trending Topics