1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

D-Lab amps: monster tones in a small package!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by catherinef, Jan 3, 2008.

1. catherinef

catherinef Member

Hey guys,

I usually don't gush about gear, but if you haven't heard about D-Lab amps yet, you really owe it to yourself to learn more about them: they make terrific small-wattage amps at a VERY reasonable price.

I happened to be browsing the Manufacturers & Retailers Emporium section a couple weeks ago and saw a thread about the one-of-kind Electro-Liner prototype for sale. MAGICboy bought it and had great things to say. He even posted clips. There was another amp for sale--the Helios--but it was sold before I had a chance to seal the deal. Well, Terry, one of the guys behind the company, emailed me directly and asked if I was interested in another amp called the "COPPER." He sent some pics and specs, and I was sold. Well, today it arrived. What a beautiful little tone-machine. Based on a Princeton circuit and running on a single 6V6 tube, it has shimmering cleans and a low end that belies its small size. Cosmetically, it's obvious that a lot of thought went into the unique design and the details. I couldn't be happier.

Go to their website: www.d-labamps.com and look under TESTIMONIALS. You'll see my amp, as well as some others they've built.

I probably should have stated this upfront, but I am in NO way affiliated with this company. To me, they're a class operation, and I'd like to see them get the props they deserve. I think a lot of people who come here would enjoy learning more about these great amps. Terry was a pleasure to deal with from beginning to end.

Also, here are a couple threads--which is how I learned about them:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=322051

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=330039

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. Time to get back to squeezing some notes out my new amp. Thanks, Terry!

2. catherinef

catherinef Member

The more time I spend with my new COPPER, the more impressed I am with the tones coming out of this little guy--simply amazing. It handles single coils, humbuckers, and P-90's equally well. Add a good OD or boost pedal to the mix and you'll have a smile on your face that'll be there for days. Terry and Matt aim to please with every amp they build. Check out their custom site:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo8m30/dlabampscustomshop/

They'll bend over backwards to make you the amp that'll have your others sitting around collecting dust.

Gotta run...I have a glowing 6V6 tube calling my name!

3. mattpas

mattpas Silver Supporting Member

4. btmish

btmish Member

Hey Catherinef, I am glad you ended up getting one then. I am REALLY digging my Helios too. So much so, that I have not plugged in my "big" amps in almost two weeks now. I like running mine with the gain only about a 1/4 of the way up and pushing it to break-up with pedals. It LOVES my Mayo, as well as my Cot50. And the cleans from this amp are spectacular. From the picture of your Copper, it looks to be pretty much the same set up as the Helios.

One thing Mattpas, is there anyway you could put pictures up on the Testimonials page that could be "blown up"? I like looking at all the different amps, but wish I could see them a bit more.

As stated above, and I agree, the customer service is top notch. My amp came VERY quickly, and was packaged very well. And my emails have always been answered promptly and informatively.

5. catherinef

catherinef Member

Hi btmish,

Other than the cosmetics, the COPPER is the same as the HELIOS. Glad you're digging your amp as well.

I agree with you--I'd like to see larger pictures on the site--you really have to see the COPPER up close to fully-appreciate the details.

Enjoy, my friend!

6. mattpas

Hey guys,
    Thanks again Terry and I are happy that you are enjoying these amps.
    About the sites, Terry runs the D-Lab site and I run the Custom Shop site here:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo8m30/dlabampscustomshop/id10.html
    On the Custom site you can click on a picture and it opens larger in another window.
    I will talk to Terry about adjusting the site.
    Thanks again.

7. catherinef

catherinef Member

Still digging my COPPER--no doubt about it! I've been experimenting with different pedals, and I really like pairing a Danelectro Pastrami OD with the amp. It's a $20 pedal that gives me the little bit of grit I like to hear. Would love to hear what other D-lab owners use as far as pedals go.

8. btmish

btmish Member

Well, today I plugged my tele deluxe into a N.O.C.3 Pure Drive into the Helios and it was a match made in heaven. I have been very tempted to get one of the v/m-1 amps but can't really swing it right now. I wonder how they compare sonically . I don't really feel like I need the bass and treble controls at all. And I am even loving the sound of the 8" speaker.....but then again, I bet a 10" weber would be nice as well::)

9. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Agreed.
    Pure Drive and D-Lab 2-gether 4-ever.
    Timmy in front of the Pure Drive is even better.
    These amps are just thirsty for pedals.
    And yes, a 10-inch Weber in the V/M-1 is plenty fine.
    I just received the Mesa-style today.
    Three thumbs up!

10. catherinef

catherinef Member

These amps are addictive, aren't they? I was wondering if the guys could put together a JTM45/Bassman amp (hint, hint). Can you guys tell me more about the NOC 3 Puredrive you're using? I need another OD like I need another amp, which is to say, like a hole in the head. But still, if you could tell me a little about this pedal, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank in advance!

11. mattpas

Terry and I have a lot of ideas for amps. Hopefully there will be a high-gain monster by the spring. If there is a demand for it I will continue to offer the V/M-1 (which is being renamed) and the head which should be out in a month or two.
    Thanks again for all the kind words.

12. btmish

btmish Member

Well, the Pure Drive is a VERY versatile low gain OD. At it's best, I think, it adds just a touch of grit. What makes it a little different is the clean blend knob. You can "dial" in a pure clean tone WITH your dirt that makes that dirt sound at once, both dirty and clean. Weird, I know. It really loves pedals in front of it from my experience. I put a honey bee in front of the pure drive and WOW! I have not tried that set up yet into the D-Lab, but I most defiantly will soon.

13. catherinef

catherinef Member

Sounds like a cool OD--need to check it out one of these days. Also, thanks for reminding me to try my Honeybee with my D-lab--guess that's what happens when you have more than one or two OD pedals!

14. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Timmy into the Pure Drive for me.
    Tonight I'm going to be testing a Keeley Twilight Zone MT-2 into this little monster. Can't wait.
    Matt thought it would be absolutely evil.

15. catherinef

catherinef Member

Let us know the verdict with the Keeley!

16. catherinef

catherinef Member

Just spent over an hour stacking Timmy, BJF Honeybee, and Eternity into the COPPER. I firmly believe this amp is incapable of rendering a less than stellar tone!

17. mattpas

I guess we both had the same idea tonight. I just spent over two hours going through the V/M-1 tonight and stacking pedals through it.
    It loves pedals. I stacked my OLC Matchbox with an MI Audio Crunchbox... WOW!
    Took the paint off the walls.
    Also, stack it with the Matchbox and the MXR DIII and that is killer tone.

Thanks again to those who have purchased a D-Lab and for the reviews.
    We love to know what everyone thinks and what everyone runs through them so we get a good idea of how they are working out.

18. btmish

btmish Member

My new combo into the Helios is a Ranger (rangermaster) into the BJF HBOD, this is THE ticket. Wow! Oh, and into that set up goes an early eighties Burny FLG/RLG Paul. Pure Heaven.

19. big brekfest

big brekfest Guest

wow! glad I caught this thread tonight! i'm in the market for a tube practice amp, but I really wanted something really nice. Wasn't looking forward to the going rates on the fancy boutique amps, though.

REALLY interested. I'm sure D-Labs will be getting an e-mail from me soon!

20. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Definitely get on a high gain monster in the vein of a hot rodded JCM800 or Soldano! I love little boutique-ish amps with that slight breakup but some of us just like a hard rockin gainy amp to handle the hair band in us :) I also think it would be great to see a clip with the crunchbox running through it.

One more thing, the line out feature, is that with some sort of cab sim built in? I'm thinking no but just wondering..