• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

D&M Drive???

89strat

I like it. But, I've had it on ebay and may be taking it off of ebay. It's tough for me because I've been using the same RAT for the past 25 years. I like using an od808 in front of the RAT for boosts, or for a lower gain option at times. The boost side of the D&M I like much better than the od808. The range of what the boost side can do is impressive. I had it side by side with the od808. Tube screamers tend to sound like tube screamers no matter how you set it. The heavy low mid compression thing is great on a tube screamer, and that can be found on the higher gain settings on the D&M boost side, but the gain and tone knobs on the D&M boost side are very responsive and can go from a nice clean mid boost up to tube screamerish. I think it's incredible. I've never tried a Klon, but I've played the Rockett Archer which I understand is in the ballpark, and the D&M is also in that ballpark. However, if you never heard of or cared about a klon, it would still be hard not to be impressed by the boost side of the D&M.

The drive side is another animal. I can't get it to sound like my RAT, which is fine, I didn't expect to. I've had several versions of the ocd, and with each ocd change, there's that inherent hi-fi-ness that I really don't like, almost like there's a clean blend in the gain or something that takes away some of the compression I like. But running a tube screamer into an OCD helps that, and gets it more into RAT territory, in my opinion. What appeals to me about a RAT is the warmth of the high end and the upper mids. The D&M is more OCD sounding, which from what I understand was the intention. However, I like it better than the ocd, has good bass response that is not overpowering, it's not mid-heavy but the crunch is there, and a good amount of touch sensitivity. Running the boost side into the drive side really sounds great.

That all being said, I'm always looking for a good dual overdrive, and have had many, but always come back to a RAT and Tube Screamer as my benchmark. I'm really leaning towards putting the D&M back on my board. But in full disclosure, I have it up for sale, but I have to revisit it. The only thing that holds me back is my weird obsession with the RAT. My guess is that if you like a cleanish mid-boost or a tube screamerish boost, you'll like this a lot. The drive side is excellent, but might be more a matter of a personal preference, which for me is my RAT. The high end that people complain about on the drive side of the D&M is there. The high end on a RAT is more high mids than treble. So my ears are trained to be annoyed by high end treble in a less compressed less midrangey pedal. But I can't see it being an issue with a band, and the high end would cut through and sound great through a loud amp. And again, running that boost side into that tames the high end and restores some of the softer midrange.

I play an HSS strat, PRS, and a Les Paul through a Fender Blues Junior as my main gig rig. I've also played this through a Marshall JTM, older music man amp, and fender hot rod deluxe. The D&M played well with all of them. So, although I've added nothing at new to this discussion, that's my impression of it.

foshjoster

Silver Supporting Member
Bump for anyone with favorite/recommended settings! Always tweaking mine to get it dialed in

fishman919

Gold Supporting Member
I had one for a while but eventually sold it. I liked the Mick side but the Dan side had way more gain than I needed so I rarely used it. Ultimately it didn’t make sense to keep it on my board if I only used half of it. I replaced it with a Tumnus Deluxe and a Timmy which is more useful for me.

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
does anyone know if both sides are all new designs based on an ocd and klon or is it a 1962 or super phat mod and oxblood variations?

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
does anyone know if both sides are all new designs based on an ocd and klon or is it a 1962 or super phat mod and oxblood variations?
I own the D&M and the 1962x. I also had owned the standard 1962... I love the 1962x and it’s a permanent fixture on my big board. IMHO there’s a bit more gain on tap with the D&M... both sound Marshally but I find the 1962x more solidly in the BB camp. I also have a SPM and in my view it is not Klone-like at all. My SPM has more gain and bite to it over the boost side of the D&M plus the SPM is less compressed to my ears.

FWIW... I am digging the D&M and its flexibility, it’s a very dynamic pedal. The drive side is probably the most responsive OD/dirt pedal I own to pick attack. Mean to clean is in your fingers tips. :aok

Keeley Customer Service

Platinum Supporting Member
Not quite a Klon not quite an OCD but lives in both realms. Not quite a SPM or Oxblood either but still has similar flavors of each. Both sides are new designs/takes on iconic tones. They are more refined with added tonal options.

BlueLou

Silver Supporting Member
I used a DNM for quite a while. I reduced the number of my overdrives on the board. It is a versatile pedal. The Mick side is phenomenal. The Dan side, much more finicky.

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
I own the D&M and the 1962x. I also had owned the standard 1962... I love the 1962x and it’s a permanent fixture on my big board. IMHO there’s a bit more gain on tap with the D&M... both sound Marshally but I find the 1962x more solidly in the BB camp. I also have a SPM and in my view it is not Klone-like at all. My SPM has more gain and bite to it over the boost side of the D&M plus the SPM is less compressed to my ears.

FWIW... I am digging the D&M and its flexibility, it’s a very dynamic pedal. The drive side is probably the most responsive OD/dirt pedal I own to pick attack. Mean to clean is in your fingers tips. :aok
Not quite a Klon not quite an OCD but lives in both realms. Not quite a SPM or Oxblood either but still has similar flavors of each. Both sides are new designs/takes on iconic tones. They are more refined with added tonal options.
Thank you both, I have been circling this pedal for a while

Trending Topics