1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

D@mn strat bridge!!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SW33THAND5, May 16, 2011.

1. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

ok, i love the vintage strat bridge. i have learned how to set them up properly and i have no tuning problems. but one thing that EVERY fender bridge has done eventually is FAIL where the tremolo arm screws into the block. if it gets cross thread even a little (which is easy to eventually do, after you put the guitar in and out of its case 100 times) it then fits loosely on the threaded socket. which messes with your tremolo action...there is "slop" and it "wiggles" before it engages the springs.

what is the best way to fix it? :bonk

i have a EJ Strat with a vintage set-up but i am THIS CLOSE (makes a tiny space between my thumb and pointer finger) to just scrapping the bridge entirely and trying one of those new fangled "bladerunners"

[​IMG]

2. LReese

LReese Member

I never remove my trem arms - just point the arm towards the jack and it should fit without stressing the arm.

3. notnac

notnac Senior Member

The solution. Throw the bar out the window. Tighten the strings so the bridge is flush against the body. You'll get better sustain and tuning stability which more than compensates for the things you can do with a tremelo bar IMO.

4. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I never use the bar. I just set the bridge to where it is angled up slightly in the back. Then when I want to do a bigsby-type vibrato, I just reach back and give er a tug.

To directly answer the op's question, you might try plumber's tabe on the bar thread. Replacing the bridge is not a crime either - easy to go back if needed as long as you don't drill new screw holes in the body.

5. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

If I wanted sustain, I'd use an LP. And I disagree on the tuning stability. I don't use the bar but I do float my bridge. It sounds better.

6. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

BUT I USE THE BAR!!!!

i do have my strat set-up (the EJs come this way) where the bridgeplate sits flat on the body of the guitar. then move the saddles up accordingly to intonate. i have the springs (x3) with just enough tension to have the bridge lay flat. it only takes a light touch to move the trem. it stays in tune GREAT. but the stupid bar WOBBLES now.

7. M40A1

M40A1 Supporting Member

8. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Get a Callaham replacement block with the enhanced trem arm option and one of their trem arms. I did it a while back and couldn't be happier. The block is more solid than the stock Fender's and does give the guitar a little more sustain. The real advantage is in the way they handle the trem arm. They put a small plastic sleeve inside the threaded hole so that the arm fits snug with NO slop at all. There are just a few threads at the very tip of the trem arm to keep it in place.

Try it! You won't be disappointed.

9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

You want to fix it, not be told not to use it.

So, buy a Callaham block and arm. The man figured out what needed to be done, and he did it - comes right out of his shop and he's there to see it is right.

Read Bill's website if you'd like a detailed explanation. Unlike the cryogenic stuff you may have to buy into "on faith" this is pure and simple machine engineering. Seems obvious to me why his design could last you a lifetime.

10. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

^^^Great minds thinking alike.

11. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

NOooooooooo..... What is the matter with some of you people ?

You must use the Wang doodle bar. It's against the law to NOT use the talent lever bar on a strat unless it's a Hardtail .

And Nooooooooo you don't need to buy a callaham block or buy the newest latest thing a ma bob. Like OMG and Totally.

To get rid of the wobble, wrap a little plumbers tape ( that white stuff ) around the bar and insert. Problem solved. Tons of people do this cheap and easy mod.

Your welcome :dude

12. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

just looked at the callaham site. that looks liek teh way to go. block + arm for 83$:munch

13. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Yeah, it's a far better option than the tape. I did the tape thing for a while. I like to remove my trem arm when I put the guitar in the case, and the tape got all mucked up and eventually ended up as a wad at the bottom of the thread hole. I didn't like having to reapply it periodically. I eventually snapped the trem bar off because the tight fit let me play more aggressively.

The Callaham stuff is solid and just feels better. Nothing will be breaking off, and I can remove the arm as many times as I want. I'd recommend a Callaham block and arm as a mod to any stock Strat...before I'd recommend a pickup upgrade.

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Pro'lly should get a Cally. Though, I've read a few guys say their Callaham developed some slop. For me, I grew up playing those old strats and like a little bar wiggle. I hate when the bar is too tight and stays in the same place when you let go.

15. zul

zul Supporting Member

Try the Bladerunner. It works incredibly well and is completely reversible.

You'll like the vibrato arm adjustability and the 'blade' design is a brilliant engineering solution to the trad strat bridge conundrum. It's done fifteen gigs so far and unit and logic is sound.

16. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Interesting. I've only had my Callaham for six months or so. I'm curious if it'll get wiggly in a few years. Having the bar stay when you let go is different than having slop when you us it. The Callaham solution gets rid of the wiggle slop, but you can certainly install it with just a few threads, and it'll swing down when you let go. I keep mine just at the breaking point between staying put and swinging down. It stays close when I let go, but if I ignore it for a song, it'll be down at the jack the next time I go grab for it.

17. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

easy, buy a Wilkinson with push in arm, solid steel block, push in arm, awesome trem, goes for about 40 bucks

18. beerijuana

beerijuana Member

I saw this in VG recently, and decided just now to check out the site (been meaning to...), ..."brilliant engineering" indeed. And, "drop in" replacement, no mods to body needed.

[​IMG]

Time to start saving my nickles and dimes...

19. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

:agree

20. CthonicEwes

CthonicEwes Member

I bought a Callaham and the damn whammy bar broke off inside it just by screwing it in! I've done this to Fender bridges, too. And I'm not a shredder/dive bomber. Just bad luck. Or, maybe there is something inherently wrong with the design...hmmm

As far as keeping the bar from turning, have you tried putting in the small spring of the sort that Fender includes with new Strats?