D`pergo playing clip that just took my breath away

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by BryanMatthews, Apr 2, 2008.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

2. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

So what do you think will get you closer to that?

1. A $6,000 D'Pergo; or,

2. A $1,000 Fender and $5,000 of lessons.

3. gregory49

gregory49 Member

not my cup of tea, I prefer Tomo's D'pergo. BUT!!! D'pergo's are really amazing.

4. gregory49

gregory49 Member

a 6000 dollar D'Pergo and many hours practicing.

5. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Great player. I hear perhaps a tad too much EJ in his approach, but he's nasty.

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

What in particular did you like?

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

It's good playing, but nothing special on the sound or tone.

8. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like any other well made guitar. I simply cannot tell the difference between this and a Suhr, Anderson, Tyler, or other boutique super strat.

9. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

Why the sarcasm dude?

10. Paulpuck68

Paulpuck68 Member

It so hard to get an idea of just how good something is from low budget video clips. On my computer with nothing special speakers it just sounds sterile and muted. I wish the picture was also better so I could get a better look at the guitar too. I'm sure it looks and sounds much better in person though.

11. Kappy

Kappy Member

He's playing through a Roland Cube 30 through a small PA. I don't know if he posted that clip as an example of the best tone or not, but it's hard to do that guitar justice through an amp like that (as cool as the cubes are!).

12. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Because the OP was strongly implying that the goodness of that clip was due to the D'Pergo. And then the 2nd poster in this thread backed him up on that. So here's my point: The guy in the clip is an excellent player and the tone was nice, but generic (and the sound quality of the clip wasn't particularly great). I'm pretty sure that the clip would have been equally impressive if the guy was playing a much less expensive guitar.

But this is just IMO. I could be wrong. The goodness of that clip might all be due to the D'Pergo. Nothing to do with the 1,000s of hours that guy spend practicing.

13. Ogre

Ogre Member

14. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

nuthin to get razzed over guys, those dpergo are way costly instruments and ive never played one myself , ive very much got a preference for guitars euipped with paf type humbuckers, but i tell you, most strat influenced guitars are of little or minimal interest to me and if they come with a Floyd, make that figure 0%. I checked out clippage on the dpergo site and its so in your face that those guitars are pure excellence, they will never take the place of a good lester as far as i see it , but good tone is good tone and I really dug what was in the clip, and thought some here may like to see a most proficient player showing his wares on a guitar par excellence. Doesnt matter that he was using a modelling amp, you can hear that guitar is a good un.

Bryan

15. 6120

6120 Member

Joe Knows. Right on the money Joe.

16. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

All the other guy said was "DPs really are special...". While he MAY have been thinking that it's all about the guitar... I choose to believe that nobody on TGP is that stupid to think that it's all about the guitar and never about the passion, practice, perseverence, sacrifices, etc. that a lot of players pour out to sound great right?

Point is this: with all the D'Pergo bashing going on, why can't you just leave things be and not bring up stuff that always starts the fire like the price? Why can't you have just listened to the clip, decided if you liked it or not, and if not, move on instead of making negative comments?

17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Because I didn't make a negative comment. I made what I thought was a corrective comment -- in a compelling manner.

18. Bassomatic

My thoughts exactly. The subtle and not-so-subtle negativity toward D'Pergo on the part of some posters (which the offenders are always real quick to deny) is a real head scratcher. I'm inclined to think it's because some of the heavier, more accomplished players around here have switched over to DP or merely sing Stefan's praises.

19. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

Do you honestly think that the OP needed "correcting"? Do you honestly think that the OP didn't also attribute the cool tone and playing to countless hours of practice, lessons, gigging, tinkering with gear, etc.?

IMO, your compelling corrective comment was flame bait.

I'll let this rest. It's no big deal really... just annoying because I like the D'Pergo threads, and they all get nuked once someone throws in something about price, about how lesser value instruments will get you there as well, etc.

20. Bassomatic

As PinoyBoy pointed out, TGP'ers are generally smart and experienced enough to know what a small part of the player/tone/music equation the instrument itself is responsible for. That's a compelling point, too.