"D" string pole on my Strat pickup is sunk in.... fixable?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tele_jas, Feb 18, 2012.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

So I noticed last night that on my, new to me, Strat bridge pickup it has staggered poles and the D string pole is sunk down to being flush with the plastic and there is a very noticeable volume drop on the D string when going from string to string.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? This is a 1999 MIM Strat and he said the pickups were "re-wound" a few years ago. They sound amazing, so I want to keep them. I don't know anything about pickups, so any advice would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. ManliusGuitar

ManliusGuitar Member

If the pickups are wound on plastic one-piece bobbins you should be able to tap the magnet back up from the bottom to the desired height - so next time you have the strings off pull the pickguard and see, first if they are plastic bobbins, and second if you can tap the magnet back up. Should be no problem if they are plastic bobbin pickups. Maybe a dab of glue to hold it in place as well on the bottom.

Most MIM pickups from the period are plastic bobbins, so you should be able to do the fix. Also, another sign that you probably have plastic bobbins is the fact that the magnet has dropped, and the pickup is still in working order. If it was a fibreboard bobbin, there would be a good chance the pickup would be dead with a magnet move that severe.

I do suppose all this is predicated on the magnet having been dropped or pressed in, not set like that when rewound. Take the guard off and that will go along ways in answering....

3. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try and post my results back.

Jason

4. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

That worked, a few taps on the bottom of it and it popped it out. Plugged it in and it all works perfect, thanks!!