D-Tar Equinox/Mama Bear signal chain question

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by seratone, Apr 29, 2015.

1. seratone

seratone Member

I recently got a D-Tar Mama bear on Ebay after reading the threads on this forum. I was so impressed with with it did to my amplified acoustic tone (previously using an Aura Sixteen) I immediately bought another one AND a D-Tar Equinox from Kijiji from the next Province for a great package deal - the second D Mama for my partner in an acoustic duo I'm putting together.

I mostly play finger style with a bunch of decent guitars, tuned differently, with Piezo pickups. So Now I have world class acoustic tone. I have a Neuenaber 'Wet' reverb I like for the occasional 'shimmer' and there's a possibility I might mess with a TC Electronics 'Alter Ego' delay as well.

Some of this is obvious - but what would my signal chain be? Mamma Bear before the Equinox? Or the other way around?. I guess I'd be in the situation of losing the XLR out to the board if the effects go after the D_tar stuff.

Also , is the Mama Bear that good that it doesn't need any updates since 2006 when it landed?

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I'd put the mama bear first. I think it wants the unaffected signal from your guitar.

And I like it, too.

3. tone4days

tone4days Member

i love my mama bear ... had it since they were new ... and it has to go first to get best results ... i always ran mine full wet, preserving essentially none of the original piezo signal

4. seratone

seratone Member

Wow, I've heard a few other guys running their Mama Bears full wet as well - I'm not sure I could do that...all the overtones added make it a honky blustery hell - Actually I've got to go try that first before I make that statement. I leave mine at direct noon - basically the factory suggested setting - I have been to a couple of live sows where I could detect acoustic modelling was being used (Rodney Crowell with Emmy Lou Harris) - where it distinctly sounded like the Aura in her J-200 was up a little too much on the wet side, same with his guitar.

5. pdouds

pdouds Member

I bought a used mama bear a few years ago and am totally happy with it. I put a tc nova system after it and it sounds great. I run the mix at noon all the time.